Best lumber to use on Bobcat trailer?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by amscapes03, Aug 22, 2013.

1. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Guys
    Need to replace the deck on my open trailer. What lumber do you use, rough pine, fir, oak, PT? Bobcat has rubber, not tracks. Thanks!

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Whatever you can afford. Whether its Bobcat or Gehl you can use the same material. Brand of machine is irrelevant.

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

On my gehl trailer I used rough sawn oak I bought from a saw mill, roughly $250. It was a PAIN and I will sell the trailer before I do it again. Hopefully the bobcat trailers are easier.

4. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I just did my 6x18 trailer with pressure treated 2x6's. I bought 16' and redid the dove tail in 1/8 diamond plate. It was about $170 in wood from HD. Now I'm going to spray it with Thompson's water seal.

5. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Careful, that stuff gets slippery. That's why I used rough sawn. Don't want to knock your teeth out on a rainy day

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Need more information. Is this for a Case Trailer or a Takehuci trailer?

I hear the New Holland trailers are really a pain in the bu++. Anyone else agree??

7. big daddy b

big daddy b LawnSite Member

On our John Deere trailers we usually use pressure treated 2x10s or 2x12s...we also put bigger equipment on our trailers too. JD excavators, skids, loaders....Not sure about the bobcat trailers though.

8. amscapes03

Thanks for all the amazing input guys. Gonna go with rough sawn oak. Only the best....thanks alldayrj! Not only will my "Open Trailer" haul my money making Bobcat, but also on occasion my pristine Black on Black 2007 Mustang GT Convertible. Yes it's a stick, and yes it has a V8. To much more to list and bore you all with.

9. amscapes03

Rough sawn oak is ok for a mustang trailer..........isn't it????

10. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer LawnSite Member

We use white oak on our bobcat trailers. Red oak on the Daewoo trailers.