Best Machine To Edge With

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by steviepowers, Feb 8, 2006.

1. steviepowers

steviepowers LawnSite Member

What should I get to edge with? Have already dropped @ 7K and wanting to keep my startup as low as possible. Can you get by with a good string trimmer or do you need an expensive edger. Thanks for your input.

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Don't edge with a string trimmer. Buy a stick edger or if your budget is tight buy a cheap Mclane walk behind used for now. Should be able to get one at a yard sale for around 50 bucks. Personally I'd get both if you can.

3. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

4. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

What is wrong with using a trimmer to edge? Everybody around here does it like that, and if the operator is any good you can't tell any difference in the final product. If you are trying to keep expenses low, I would buy at least one good trimmer, maybe a backup, and do your trim/edge all at once, instead of having to go back to the trailer for a different piece of equipment to finish a job you can do with the one in your hand.

5. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

if i were you id buy something higher end that you can get both ends for. probably gonna be around 400 or so though.

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

The cut isn't as clean. The kerf gradually becomes wider and wider, You can get an edge that way but over time it will start to look bad. You can almost always tell when a blade has been used. Also when you are using a string trimmer to try and cut in an overgrown edge for the first time it turns into a PITA quickly. I learned it the hard way myself.

7. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

hmmm... how bout' a shovel? :p that's cheap enough.

invest the money man!!! Work smart, not hard. Stihl Stick 280.00+some change

You will never... NEVER EVER NEVER get the edge you want from a string trimmer... at least not for a 'first time' edge.

8. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

hmmm... how bout' a shovel? :p that's cheap enough.

invest the money man!!! Work smart, not hard. Stihl Stick 280.00+some change

You will never... NEVER EVER NEVER get the edge you want from a string trimmer... at least not for a 'first time' edge. Most of my properties get edged once/twice a month with the stick... sometimes I cheat and use the trimmer, but only cause they've been pre-edged with the stick.

9. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

If the operator is any good, he/she would know there was a difference. I agree with 'out4now'. Just not as clean as an edge. Not saying not to use a trimmer for both for awhile, but don't tell me there's no difference.

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

if your really good atit you could get by with a trimmer, but if your new, youll tear stuf up.... get a stick edger, the difference is very appearent to me....and easier to use with out making a mistake and having to fix the lawn.....:)