Best material for front walkway on Victorian Home? (Bluestone v. Slate v. Paver)

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by nbpter, Mar 17, 2005.

1. nbpter

nbpter LawnSite Member

We need to build a new walkway from our driveway to the front entrance of our home, and want something that will look appropriate to the period of the house. Love the look of bluestone but don't love the price. I've heard slate will crack and shift because its thinner- is this true or does the person that told me this just want to sell me pavers? Is it possible to do the walkway in pavers (looking at the larger blocks made by Techno-Bloc in a catalog, or perhaps a small round stone look) and have it look remotely like a natural stone? I think the only thing I'm sure of is not to use stamped concrete no matter how much I hear that it will look "slate-like"- does this sound right? What do you think will give me the best high-end look for my dollar? Looking for objective advice. Thanks!

2. Mr. Burns

Mr. Burns LawnSite Member

Thick flat slate looks great and works well. I've had it in a 75' walkway for 25 years, heavy use, one crack. Go for it, just make sure it is thick slate not some 1/4" crap!

3. nbpter

nbpter LawnSite Member

Thanks so much. What should the minimum thickness be? Also, should it be mortered in on a bed of poured concrete or can it be installed like pavers would be? I'm trying to save myself from pieces popping up or cracking in a year or two of new england winters.