best method for crab grass control?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Stringblade, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Stringblade

Stringblade LawnSite Member
    from pgh pa

does crab grass die off each year? is crab grass controll only done with a preemergent or is there a special herbicide for this treatment?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Stringblade

Crabgrass is an annual. It is an oasis plant which means it really loves water. As an annual it grows very fast and put out many seeds. This means it out competes perennials turfs in the rainy season. The seed are viable for up to 15 years. Once the nights get below 50 degrees crabgrass dies and the seeds will not germinate until the soil temp reaches 55 degrees or above.

Now which Pre-m works in your area I will leave for others from your area to answer.

3. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

See your question about weeds ;)

4. EZ Turf Inc.

EZ Turf Inc. LawnSite Member

Best fight against crabgrass in your pre-emergence, post emergence depends on type of grass you are dealing with

5. arpat2

arpat2 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Stringblade,
    I use a pre-emergent but in the later summer months the turf is in distress and the crabgrass begins to thrive. When the crabgrass is actively growing I use Crabgrass Killer by Ortho. It's not real heavy duty but it does stunt the growth of the crabgrass without affecting the good turf.

6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Is there a straight Pre-M without fert as a carrier (dimension, pendamenthalin, etc)???? Im thinking about trying this this spring if available. Every spring, I cringe while applying the pre-m as I know the fert will launch the grass. I probably subconsciuosly apply less than I should. :p

7. KenH

from CT

What do you use as a pre-em, and do you receive good control??? I was under the impression Dimension was one of the later pre-ems, but even that is up to the 3 leaf stage. I would assume by late summer the crabgrass is already beyond that stage rendering pre-ems useless.

8. arpat2

arpat2 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I should have specified I apply
    Halts Crabgrass Preventer (pendimethalin) in the spring. Good results. I would like to try Drive 75 as a post emergent. Have you ever used it or spoken to anyone who has?

9. KenH

from CT

"I use a pre-emergent but in the later summer months ...."

Sorry....I misinterpreted the above.

10. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

I think all the pre-emergents can be used without fert as long as you go with liquid apps. Spring Valley makes Dimension in a granular form without fert. that I have used for beds and turf.