Best method for raising prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

Allright, I need some serious responces to this thread because it is very important. Here goes, next year I am taking all of the steps to become legit and I am obviously going to have overhead so I have to raise my prices drastically from this year. When I first started doing this with my push mower I had no idea I was charging so much less than others. I have now learned so much from this site it is Ubelievable, and as I said I am becoming legit. How do I go about raising prices for people I cut for this year for next season? I am not talking just a 5% increase, to get what I am worth I have to charge a lot more. For example, for a $20-25 lawn i was cutting this season I need to be charging atleast $30-35 next year to make money. How can I go about breaking this to my customers? Should I send them a letter some time in February or what? I don't give a damn if I lose every one of them because I am not going to work for cheap because I provide quality work and if I cannot make money in this business then I will find something else that interests me. I realize I am not going to make a huge profit my first few years, but you know what I mean. I plan to do a ton of advertising this spring and pick up a whole new base of customers in a different area if these people will not pay. I am really starting over. Am I on the right track? Thank you and I would really appreciate some good help from the veterans on this board :)

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i think you will lose quite a few customers with increases from 20 to 30, 35. i mean, how can you even explain this? " i have been running an illigitimate company, and now i'm gonna be for real, so it will cost you alot more." i don't think it's gonna fly, just my opinion. my first couple of years i was dirt cheap (thinking i was charging "the going rate", i was wrong). i don't have a single client left from those days. remember, your mowing prices go up alot, so do trimming, and all the extras. and now, you arent throwing in any "freebies" (or i should hope not). i think you will have to rebuild, almost start from scratch.

3. Husky03

Unfortunately I think you are right Bobby. And actually I think that will be about the only thing to tell them for such an increase.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Can I ask why you underbid yourself so low in the first place? A price increase is usually a smaller gradual amount over a period of time. Most I have raised at a time was $5.00, with little or no "casualties". :)

5. Husky03

I had no freaking idea what I was doing. I said that in the post. I have learned so much just since last spring.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

tell them either they pay the increase, or you call the cops..........

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

In that situation, I would sit down with each customer in a 1 on 1. I would think that they are all happy with your work. Tell them that you value them as a customer, but your not making any money. If they were to get someone else in there they would charge more, and that you have to raise them to the "going rate". I would tell them the price that you would need to raise them to. If any complained I would either drop them, or make them sign a 2 year contract, and raise them over the 2 years. :)

8. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

The good customers will not fire you. Send them a letter and explain to them about inflation. Explain the cost of running a lawn service goes up every year and you need their help in biting the cost of it. The good customers will keep you, the others...well F*** em if they cant take a joke :)

9. Husky03

It would be dificult to set up a 1 on 1 appointment with everyone. I would also feel very out of place doing it this way. If I was to send a letter when would be the best time? I plan on sending out holiday cards, but I do not think that would be the best time to tell tham my rates are going up. :p Anything else I should include in the letter? Thanks a lot.
    Bobby: Nobody's scared of Lafayette cops :p

10. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Send it out a few weeks before the first mow. I raised prices on 75% of my customers this year and only 1 complained. He's a single doctor living in a $400,000 house and was complaining about 5 bucks.