Best Method for removing blades for sharpening

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by UGA, Mar 4, 2002.

1. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I own a 52" Great Dane Surfer that I bought with only 100-150 hrs which was less than 2 years old for $2400 about 2.5 years ago. I am only cutting about 5 acres per week during the season and bought it due to my 3 acres took about 2 days with my old Snapper Comet. I am loving this machine but one of the problems I am having is finding an easy method of removing my blades for sharpening. The little attachment on the end of the drill only works so well. I have a renewed appreciation for keeping sharp blades on after this last season. The main problem I have is getting the blade secured enough to apply pressure with a breaker bar and rachet to the spindle nut on top. I saw some kind of brick shaped object somewhere (Scag site?) that is used to wedge in between the blade and the deck but I don't know anything about it.
    Enough rambling.......anybody have any suggestions?:blob4:

2. Air impact wrench or one of the electric one work pretty good as well.

Just hit the button and off they come.

Also NorthernTool has somthing you can put on to hold the blades. Just put www./.com on the name and you have the web site.

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Just pull it up on the ramp of your trailer, get 2 15/16th wrenches and take them off, I have Danes and can change the blades in just minutes.

4. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Impact wrench.:D
    If you have to use a wrench I would jack up the front of the deck and use a box wrench on the bolt under the deck and a ratchet on the nut (topside). I would also use a little anti-seize lube on the threads so when you have to sharpen again all you have to do is break the nut loose and do the rest by hand. If you really want something to hold on to the blade you could use a length of boxed rectangular steel. Then slip it over the blade like a breaker bar.

5. andyslawns

andyslawns LawnSite Member

I am wiht Mike on this one, Air impacts work great. There is no effort in takeing them off on your part. Also it saves your knuckles!!:D

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I use two rachets, one on top, one on bottom. I put a 30" length of pipe on each rachet handle for leverage. I don't have to hold the blades, and there's no effeort required at all using the pipes.
    Same basic concept as breaker bars, just cheaper.

This year I'm probably going to switch to open end wrenches and permanately attach them to the pipes because the rachets tend to slip put of the end of the pipes making it a bit of a juggling act trying to hold both rachets on at once.

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

many people disagree about it, but i use the impact wrench too. press one button and off they come, and no fussing with boards and wrenchs. i used to hate changing blades, but its really easy by yourself to just use the impact wrench.

8. davesgs75

davesgs75 LawnSite Member

Go with the Impact wrench. A trip to the emergency clinic, and 13 stitches later, I bought my air compressor and inpact wrench. lesson Learned.

9. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

I dont really know the mower setup but in some catalogs they sell a tool call blade buster that holds the blade so you can break the nut loose. it sells for about 8 dollars.

10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I keep hearing people talking about bleeding, hospitals, and such when talking about changing mower blades, is this really that difficult?

When my blades need changing I pull the front of the mower up on the trailer ramp. I place a 15/16th wrench on the nut under the deck and turn the top nut until the wrench below touches the side of the deck, I remove my hands and turn the wrench on top and take the blades off using the deck as a leverage point. Guess what, I reverse the process to put them back on.

Never had a problem or a scrach from doing it this way.