1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ron, Mar 12, 2001.

1. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

Question I have had several people tell me that salt is the safest way of killing all kinds of weeds is this true...
    If so what are the methods of using salt..
    One method I was told about was first boil the water about one gallon then add one cup of regular table salt stir let cool down then put into the sprayer then go attack those nasty weeds..well I tryied this method and six days later the weeds are still there.....what can I do,,,I is there any other methods I can use with salt any info would be great thanks for your time....
  2. MikeGA

MikeGA LawnSite Member

Probably not enough salt, but I'm affraid it will kill everything that has roots coming in contact with it. I was told people are starting to use Amonium Nitrate to melt the ice and snow off sidewalks because it doesn't kill the grass from the runoff like salt does.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Visit our new Lawnsite Sponsor since they use salt to kill weeds. http://www.rittenhouse.ca/ and click on E-ZEE Weeder and read about it. :)
  4. ron

Ok I have checked out ridden house,they want you to buy that product,I only want to know the best way to kill weeds using salt
  5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Salt damages any living thing by drawing moisture out. Try it some time: bury your hand and forearm in a 50# bucket of any type of salt. By the time you notice any pain and withdraw your arm, you will have first degree, maybe second degree burns. Salt your steps in the winter, and let your dog or cat out the same entrance; then pay vet bills for the limping pet with burned feet. Let your toddler use same steps on hands and feet, and see the burns he gets on his hands in just one traverse of salted steps.

Salt to kill weeds????? Salt kills all plants by causing a reverse of the natural process that allows plants to draw lifegiving water from the soil solution. Extended drought stress = death. Perhaps very judicious application of very exact quantities of salt to certain plants would help to kill the target plant and not harm nearby ones. Sounds like a good project for a radical environmentalist with tons of time on his hands.
  6. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Ron, you need to realize that there are many different types of salt. You also need to know if you are required to be properly licensed in order to apply salt to kill weeds before you do it because if you do the wrong thing you could end up in a lot of trouble.

In looking over my state's pesticide listings I find the following types of salt, some of which may kill weeds and/or all living vegetation to which they are applied--It is really important that you know what they will do before you apply them.

Glyphosate - Isopropylamine salt, Sesquisodium salt, ammonium salt;
    Picoloram potassium salt;
    cacodylic acid sodium salt;
    Sodium chloride [common table salt].

It is up to the applicator to know how much solution to mix, when to apply it and where to use it.

HINT: The label for RoundUp contains one or more of the above ingredients.

Good luck. Will
  7. ron

So much info about plain ole salt.I guess I should start using round up only.
  8. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Glyphosate salt is one of the main ingredients in Round-up, so yes salt will definitely kill plants. Too much salt will sterilize dirt. When the Romans conquered Carthage, they salted their fields so that nothing could ever be grown there.
  9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

There is a big difference between salt and roundup.
    With roundup you can reseed after a wk or two.
    With salt you can to but nothing will come up.
  10. ron

OK thanks for that history info........on salt...