Best method/order for seeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by K.Carothers, Apr 7, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I need to know the best method of re-seeding an established lawn. The lawn isn't bad but needs more grass. I used the search and it seems that everyone has a different approach. I am looking for the best method.

This is what I am going to do...Where can I improve or is this the best way?
    Constructive criticism wanted!!!

Thanks

Cut turf at 1 1/2" and bag clippings
    Aerate in 2 directions
    slit seed(not broadcast)
    apply fert

The thatch layer is good(1/2"), If the thatch layer was deeper, would you de-thatch or will the aerating do the job???

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

First off, what kind of seed are you using? We are using a penn state fine blend, slower to germinate but well worth the wait.
    Every spring we have to re-do small sections in our yard from where the dog has messed them up from her pee. This is what we do. Now mind you, we are VERY particular with our own lawn, this is how we do our OWN lawn.
    Hand rake any bad areas raking out most of the trouble area. Cut grass to 2 inches and bag it up, double aerate, broadcast seed, then fert, cover lightly with peat moss on any of the bad areas. Water in good, and every day make sure that the seed is kept nice and moist.
    I know this is a bad picture, I had to crop a person out of the pic, but this is the stand of grass we have come mid to late april every year.

IMG_0255.JPG