1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best method to rid yard of rodents?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcr_17, Apr 30, 2004.

1. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I have a customer that says he has tried everything to rid his yard of gophers that continue to burrow underneath it. Is there any thing that you swear by that will rid a yard of rodents?
  2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I dont really even know what a "Go fer" is ( sounds like a laborer) but tell him to get a dog!
    We used to have Bandicoots but my dog got rid "o" dem dair varment!
  3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Explosives would be a great choice.
  4. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

They have poisen pellets for gophers. We used to use moth ice (it's like moth balls only in crystals) sprinkled down the holes and it used to chase them away. Used to have a friend that said a lawn chair, a shovel, a six pack of beer and a .22 would get rid of them too.

Mickhappy: Rent the movie Caddyshack with Bill Murray, it's a show about a gopher and lots of gol-phers.
  5. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Just watch the movie Caddyshack - it's full of useful ideas.
  6. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Damn, P&C, ya beat me by a minute!
  7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Many people will swear by many different cures for various wildlife pests. If you want to get a lot of useless ideas, ask for help on a web forum. If you want to find real information, go to Prevention and Control of Wildlife Damage.
  8. Tevi

Tevi LawnSite Member
    from KY

What I do for fun is dump about 45 seconds of propane out of a weed burner down the hole and then light it.The cuncution really messes with them