Best mid-grade zero turn for the money?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by dowtyt, Apr 24, 2013.

1. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Alot of guys aren't gonna like to hear this, but an ezt transmission has the same expected lifespan as the 3100's. Where you break down the tranny faster is over working it in one cycle. If you split your big yards up, or your mowing, you will greatly expand your life cycle. On the 3100's on a $5000 or $6000 mower, you are not really getting double your lifespan until you cough up for 3400's or better, usually $6000 plus. Dont get me wrong, i try to beg guys into the 3100's in this situation, but I have lots that overuse the ext's seeing no issues before 400 hours or around 6 years.... I have sold nearly 30 of the little raptors, and so far so good. I have one guy that has over 30 commercial accounts he mows a week on one, I tried to beg him into a X-one or something like that, but thats all he could afford. So far only 3 trips in the shop, and all minor fixes. Hit your nuts on the deck brackets every once in a while as his backed off, also he broke the big bolt on the front of deck I would call the adjustment bolt (might be a good part to keep in the truck along with a spindle maybe..). So far no belts broke or spindles yet, but have them on the shelf just in case... Don't know how Hustler would like it, but he was getting build up real quick on the deck so he actually cut the extra piece across the chute opening. He said he hasn't had any build up issue after that, but he mows alot of different grasses on it.
    Congrats on new mower! I think the little welded deck is a market changer, hopefully the stamped deck industry will take a huge hit from it...

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Hey bro, I don't like or care anywhere near enough about a machine to do that! :nono::eek::laugh:

3. retrodog

Then u dont own a mower, ive seen them all back nuts somewhere, especially with diesel powerplants...
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

5. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

He was taking it as the family jewels :laugh::laugh::laugh:

6. retrodog

Oh ok...lol my wife gets a kick out of the conversions at the shop. We get guys come in and say their nuts fell off, nuts on there deck fell off, they complain about needing a bigger deck, we have the little balls that hold the dampners on fall off sometimes, so they come in saying they need little balls....she laughs in the office sometimes hearing what people are asking for....
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Man, I thought for sure you would get that.:drinkup:

8. retrodog

Dude its still early, think i read that in my sleep. Funniest one is when they say i stripped my nuts under my deck, my wife usually says well we cant help you there, sometimes they get it...
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Sounds like you need to hang a bulletin board on the wall explaining the meaning of the various shop terminologies so that your customers don't ask for more than they really want LOL

10. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

OP shoulda got a gravely zt 52hd. Commercial components and engine at a homeowner unit price. i got mine for only $5,000 in 2011, ive put 500 hours on it so far, no problems at all.