Best mid-grade zero turn for the money?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by dowtyt, Apr 24, 2013.

1. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

That's a whole other price braket. If he goes 5 then why not 7, if you go 7 why not 9, if you go 9 why not 14, if you go 14 why not get a scag TT whith a cat diesel for 18 g.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ndjohnson0607

ndjohnson0607 LawnSite Member

So could you give an update?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. dowtyt

dowtyt LawnSite Member

2 1/2 seasons later it's never let me down, which is surprising since I've used it as a brushhog a few times, regretfully so everytime. I still only mow anywhere from 2-4 yards with the Hustler and they are all on 2 week schedules. I have recommended it to anyone that has asked. None of the other ZTR's in this price range, that I've seen, have a Kawasaki motor on them. They usually have Briggs or Kohler. Kohler is good, but I'd still prefer the Kawasaki. I wish it had an hr meter to help me service increments, but I have been just changing the oil twice/year. I did try some Oregon Blades, which were a lot thicker, heavier, and more expensive, but I don't think they cut as good to be honest, so I went back to OEM after. It's still not crazy fast like the commercial models, but for what I do it's perfect and it's long ago paid for itself. I'd still have a long ways to go had I bought commercial.

4. ndjohnson0607

ndjohnson0607 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the update! I'm going to talk to my dealer tomorrow. I want to add a motor guard and a meter.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you talking about the little cross bar at the bottom of the discharge opening? So instead of the opening being a 4 sided framed box it is now 3 sided which is minus the bottom bar? I have 2 Raptors and they are clogging constantly especially in wet grass. If that has helped the issue then I will take a grinder and cut off that bar. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

6. 13Razorbackfan

I put a set of gator blades on my Raptor SD 54" and IMHO they are far superior to the stock blades. You are talking about the Gator blades?

7. dowtyt

dowtyt LawnSite Member

Yes, I believe they were the gator blades. Might have just been in my head, but I had serious clogging issues right from the get go with those, so in my mind, I blamed the brand new gator blades.
    My Raptor does clog sometimes, so I carry a stick with me to unclog it. The only times it clogs is when I'm using it as a brushhog, literally mowed some johnson grass that was 5' tall the other day, and when the grass is pretty wet. I just assumed all mowers would do this in these scenarious, just the same as my walk behinds do.

8. 13Razorbackfan

I have seen many mowers do this, including both my Raptors, but my JD 7 Iron Pro deck doesn't clog at all in any conditions. It is shocking sometimes the amount of thick wet grass that thing throws out without even coming close to clogging. I think the V+ decks are also good in that regard.