Best mower - 72"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hlgmoney, Oct 25, 2002.

1. hlgmoney

hlgmoney LawnSite Member

Looking to buy a new z turn 72' or a out front 72". An y sugestions?
  2. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I've got 2 72" diesel Dixies Choppers that I've been very happy with. By mid November I will no longer be needing them due to an expiring contract. What are you looking at?
  3. hagen

hagen LawnSite Member
    from texas

I have a s burb n turb n DC i really like it. It has two 20 horse kohler motors on it if i was buying another 72 inch deck i would look at the 50 hosre yanmar diseal that DC make.
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Grasshopper 428D midmount. Mine has a 72" deck and a Kubota 28 HP diesel. It is a real workhorse.:D
  5. rwleigh

rwleigh Banned

What is the application?

There are several good 72" machines out there from Dixie Chopper to Exmark to Bladerunner to Grasshopper and so on.

Are you just looking for flat out performance and blow and go, or are you looking for just a good quality cutting machine or both?

Also are you wanting gas or diesel ?

And a big question what price range?
  6. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Go get your self a SCAG Sabre Tooth Tiger 72 inch with 31 Horsepower diesel engine. Awesome, in my humble opinion there is nothing better.

7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Get whatever you can get serviced in your area.

Boy I get tired of the "my brand mower is better than your brand mower". All commercial mowers are 6 of 1, half dozen of the other. There really aren't any really bad ones made, and they all come with a decent warranty.

Find a local dealer, find another one and yet another if you can, mow some grass with every one you can. Then pick which one you like the best.

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

greenpastures - I agree 100% - dealer support-dealer support-dealer support - is the most important. There are a lot of good machines out there

PS - If you want wide mowing capabilities, look at the new 30 HP 80" deck on the Dixie Chopper - Take a peek at their new brochures or
  9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I didn't see their 80" deck, unless you mean adding a Flex-deck to a 60"er.
  10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

What moron at Dixie Chopper allowed their website to use black typeset over gray background? Oh well, guess I don't look at what they have to offer.:rolleyes: