Best mower bigger than 21" for demanding areas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Feb 14, 2003.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd like to hear from those with actual experience on "demanding" lawns (warm season turf demanding a precise cut on non-smooth, flat surfaces). We have a lot of Bermudagrass sodded lawns here in new subdivisions that are built on rolling, uneven ground and usually a bigger deck mower won't give an acceptable cut, but I'm looking for something bigger than a 21" push mower to handle these. Right now I reject anything with any size at all that can't be cut with a Lazer Z. I wouldn't mind mowing them with a wb.

My Exmark 48" deck cuts great, but still can't handle some of the undulating terrain well enough to be used. Any suggestions on mowers that give a great cut on properties like these?

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Walker with either a 42" mulching deck or a 42" collecting deck. Beautiful cut on all types of terrain and turf.:)

3. So that's going to change by loosing 6"?

A reel mower might be your best bet.

But then again if you're set up to do the only one type of lawn, it might be costly to buy a whole nother mower for just a few accounts.

What about a 36" wb with a floating deck?

4. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

What about a 36" wb with a floating deck? [/B][/QUOTE]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :waving: that's a waste of money...no overhang on a 36", no need for a floating deck unless you want the ease of changing deck heights...

bruce32 - A 36" mower would be a good choice for an uneven lawns or tight places that your 48" can't fit into..

5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the Exmark 36" Turf Tracer Hydro with floating deck and you wont be sorry, no matter what others might say.

This past year when my new Dixie failed on me the wb saved my butt more times than I could count. And the floating deck plus hydro was an awesome choice.

Demo several machines on these lawns you have concerns about and then you will truly know which one to get. Dont just go by my or others suggestions. Get what YOU need.

6. Nevermind.......

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :waving: that's a waste of money...no overhang on a 36", no need for a floating deck unless you want the ease of changing deck heights...

bruce32 - A 36" mower would be a good choice for an uneven lawns or tight places that your 48" can't fit into.. [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually on this type of lawn, no overhang is a plus. I want the front casters lined up with the deck edges to minimize any "scalping" from the overhang if they hit a dip or rut.

I am looking real hard at the very 36" Turf Tracer recommended above. I have an older 36" toro with a similar style deck, but my Toro's have never given the cut quality I expected for the small decks, and it needs replacing anyway just because it's 9 years old and probably worth more to a homeowner needing a good mower than to me, who would wear it out in another season or so.

8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Bruce,

Mine has been a great mower. Awesome cut too. Check one out with the ECS controls.

9. Look at the exmark that gator said it is a great machine
    other choices would be hustler or great dane. All three are great machines.

10. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Ive had a few good size hills that I would only use my old 36 metro on, it really sticks to the side of a hill.