Best mower brand for wet conditions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnsaspire, Apr 27, 2010.

1. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

While I think it's been established that the Quick mowers are the worst mowers for wet or even thick grass and clogging problems, I was just wondering what mower is the best for wet conditions? Which one seems to you to have the least problems w/ clogging? I've heard Scag, but what do you think?

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

you can forget toro wb with tbar . awefull in wet

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's like folks who ask me what kind of grass will do well in the shade.
    The simple answer is none of them do, same with mowers in the wet.

4. Rivervalleylawns

Rivervalleylawns LawnSite Member

What about fescue or zohia sp?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. FastMan

FastMan LawnSite Senior Member

Any mower with a scag velocity deck. Seems to be the consensus around here that that deck is best in the wet stuff. If I was still back in Buffalo it's what I'd have.

6. Lawnman J

Lawnman J LawnSite Member

Its been raining here in Louisville the last week and I have been out mowing with my Q36 and I have had no real issues ,some double cutting because I put it off a few days hoping it would end..but all in all I pounded them out without no problems...

7. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll second that. I mowed a set of townhouses yesterday in the rain and the velocity plus 61" deck did an awsome job.

8. Bob_n_weave

Bob_n_weave LawnSite Senior Member

That's interesting, My new Toro 36" WB T-bar has been doing good in the wet grass.

9. FastMan

Obviously, the T-bar drive control has nothing to do with wet grass performance, it's all about the deck. Bob n weave, do you have the turbo force deck on your new toro?

10. FastMan

Mike, glad to hear you're still lovin your tiger. Sorry I deserted you and went with a Toro G3. With the cutting conditions I'm dealing with out here in the dry air colorado mountains, the velocity deck just didn't offer enough of the advantages it does back east to justify sacrificing the handling I liked more in the G3/lazer.

Hey, do you have the kaw 29 efi in your rig?