1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best mower brand for wet conditions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnsaspire, Apr 27, 2010.

1. joslawn33

joslawn33 LawnSite Member

John Deere 7iron is without a doubt the best. Ive ran scag since 03 demoed a deere in 08 and was just amazed last year here w ky was mostly ran was cutting grass in november never seen the grass like it was last year. Anyway mowed wet grass all last year with no probs at all. Liked it so well sold the tiger cub and bought a 710a john deere with a 7iron 48in deck it does real well to. The one I bought in 08 was a 830.
  2. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

The Scag Velocity deck cuts wet and high grass really well.
  3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I'll agree with the John Deere 7-iron deck. The 7-iron decks have performed the best for me in wet conditions.
  4. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here, but I will say when you disengage it you have to do a clean up.
  5. BrunoT

BrunoT LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for that valuable well thought out advice.

I'm curious. How does the T bar steering affect the deck?

Which deck are you talking about? They make fixed, floating, sfs, turbo force, and other designs. Two blade, three blade? Which was it? What grass were you cutting?

Or were you just having a few beers and got carried away?
  6. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes my tiger has the 29 dfi. No telling how much money I have saved on fuel in the last 3 years. Especially since I just realized that gas is etching up near 3.00 a gallon again.
  7. FastMan

FastMan LawnSite Senior Member

Have you done any GPH fuel consumption measurements? I'll be interested to compare them to what I get in my new kohler 29efi. I believe your kaw has more cc's (I could be wrong), so by rights the kolher should do better, but it will be interesting to see.
  8. LawnCareNoobie

LawnCareNoobie LawnSite Senior Member

John Deere's 7 Iron.
  9. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

When you look at decks for mowing wet grass there is alot to look at. You have to make sure that the discharge opening is large enough to disperse the clippings properly to avoid clumping. The more baffles under the deck, the worse the deck will perform in wet conditions. "Square" corners in decks will trap grass and cause clumping, decks that have smooth corners will cause less clumping. You will also want to make sure that the mower that is coupled with the deck has the power to move through wet or thick growth.

Here's some pictures of the scag velocity, JD 7-iron and exmark triton (hope this works).....

10. theheisk

theheisk LawnSite Member

Velocity Plus! No complaints with mine in wet or thick conditions.
    Posted via Mobile Device