Best Mower Combination

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smlavin, Dec 24, 2004.

1. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

I know some of you guys own 1 mower and do everything with it and I know some of you guys own and carry several different mower styles and deck sizes.

BUT, If you could own and carry ONLY 2 mowers for small/medium commercial and residential accounts, which would they be?

Share with the rest of us what combination of 2 mowers gives you the most efficiency and productivity.

If you have to throw a 21" in the mix, as a 3rd mower, I guess we can allow it, but try to limit your choices to 2.

2. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

Small-medium lawns a 44" toro make sure of a floating deck

meduim to large 52" toro

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

72" ZTR and a 36" W/B

4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag Tiger Cub 48/52 and Scag walkbehind 36in.

5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

My main crew I run a 60 lazer with a trac vac and a 44 inch lazer I do keep a 21 inch snapper on the trailer but it only sees action on 1 lawn.

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

A 52" ZTR will go on any of those lawns unless it has a small gate. Then you have to ask yourself how many times is this going to be a problem? If you are mowing a lot of gated lawns then you will want a 33-36" mower. If you are just doing a few and they are pretty small then a 21" will do fine.

With the 21" you will will have less maintenance etc.

I own all 3 sizes, but today if I could only have two sizes I would get rid of the 36".

If you are going to be doing a mix of lawns up to an acre or more then you could consider swapping the 52" for a 60". A 60" will still go on some pretty small lawns but if they have a lot of landscape then there will be more trimming. The 52" will go in-between a lot of landscapes that the 60" won't. My first ZTR was a 60" and when I made the move to 52" I soon realized that the 52" was the perfect sized mower for my operation.

I hope some of this helps.....

7. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

lazer 60 and a metro 36 for tight spots,gates,and big slopes or where customer pays for walk behind.you guys can preach about 21s till you blue,i will take my 60 and 36 and smoke it.to each there own.some of you guys give a 1000.00 bucks for those 21s,i have a property i was 21in mowing the front and side(customer request),took me 40 min to mow.with new metro 36 belt it took me 15 min,and fresh as a daisy.remember the post says BEST mower combination.

8. SHARP CUT LAWN SERVICE

SHARP CUT LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Member

I Am Runnin A 52 Inch Grasshopper Midmount 223 Model And A 36 Ex Mark Wb I Use The 36 3 Times A Week I Am Doin Between 50-55 A Week And I Have A 21 Inch Only Use It Once A Week For About 15 Mins Yall Have A Merry Christmas

9. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I mostly run a 52 lazer, 36 metro and a 21 metro and I mow from town house yards to 2.5 acre lots on the bay.

10. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Tiger Cub 52"
    Walker for the tighter stuff

I try not to take on 21" stuff as we are really not setup for it.