Best mower for 72in deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mag360, Feb 25, 2003.

1. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone have an opinion on what mowers can handle these decks with the least amount of scalping. My picks--Scag hydro walk behind with ride on trailer, Scag three wheel rider, Grasshopper outfront deck.

Any other suggestions or pros and cons?
    I have a particular interest in the three wheel rider.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have a Grasshopper 428D midmount that does a real good job.It has a good wide wheelbase and the 72" deck is very stable side to side. On some uneven areas it will scalp on one side or the other if you are not careful. I would say it really is no worse at scalping than a 60" deck. you just have to use some common sense when mowing uneven areas and sort of plan your atack.
    I am going to try a Grasshopper front deck machine this year to see how it compares. The Parks Dept. here uses a lot of front mount Grasshoppers and they say they hardly scalp at all.:)

3. mag360

mowingman--I ran a 928D for a couple years (not mine-i was working for Murph Bros.) and they are better in alot of ways than midmount mowers. Ride is smoother and you can crest the top of a hill (going up or down) without scalping. Only problem was poor traction. Try one, you will love it.

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

KLC99,
    Yes, that is the model I am going to demo. I am goint to try their aerator attachment too.
    BTW. Before getting the Grasshopper 72", I also demoed the Exmark 72",(27hp diesel), and the Dixie Chopper 72",(26hp diesel). For a variety of reasons, I liked the Grasshopper the best and bought it. I do not have any experience with the Scagg 72" mowers. One thing to consider, the diesel will be much more economical to operate with a big 72" deck. The gas engine option on any of these mowers will drink huge amounts of gasoline. In heavy mowing, my 428D only uses 1/2 gal./hr. of diesel.:D

5. mag360

going diesel is good advice-thanx-scag does offer a 31hp diesel on one of the midmount models but it is pricey.

At Murph Bros. we got a demo of the (48in?) aerator and were not impressed--you have to lift the unit off the ground in order to turn. Also Murph bought one of those exmarks with the 27hp diesel--not up to exmark's standards, it came from the factory with a leaky cooling system and uses belt drive for a 72in deck! Currently on the 3rd or 4th belt after one season, My 25hp 61in Scag Turf Tiger is shaft driven as are all scag ZTR's except the tiger cub. Also the hydros don't work until they are warmed up for a good 10 minutes or so (I have no idea why this is).

6. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

John deere outfront with lastec articulator.