best mower for a steep bank

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wacaweed, Apr 20, 2007.

1. wacaweed

wacaweed LawnSite Member

Just wondering if anyone has any sugestions on what the best walk behind for steep banks are. Thanks Joe

2. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to say it but do a search..
    ....how steep is steep....basically make sure it's a dual hydro and not the lowest hp engine avail.

3. wacaweed

wacaweed LawnSite Member

here are a few pics on what I am needing it for

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

4. rob b.

rob b. LawnSite Member

We have several retention ponds at a big church we do that look alot like the pictures you posted.I always do them with my Turf Tiger,slow and easy.

5. bobcat175

I had a Bobcat 48" hydro WB that I would do all of that with...1st pic would probably be sideways due to the possibility of hitting cars if you slid down in wet cond..although it looks to flatten out the further away you go.
    2 pic looks uneven at the corner of the fence...the hill on the far end with the tel pole looks really steep...so maybe not that. Do you have any local friends to borrow and try? Are you already looking at anything in particular?

6. wacaweed

wacaweed LawnSite Member

not really looking at anything yet so I am really open to anything

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

dual drive Ferris, they are like low hugging tanks

8. bobcat175

yeah I would second that....wider stance than most...just make sure it's a dual hydro because they also make a single.

9. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

I know this is going to sound crazy but it really works well. Keeps the operator safe to.

I used to mow steep retainment walls around large petroleum storage tanks for a pipeline. We used modified 21" push mowers. We removed the handles, put eyebolts the front and rear corners opposite the discharge side. Hooked rope to the eyes. Walked back and forth across the top of the wall. Just let a bit more rope out to move the mower down the hill for the next pass.

10. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

i'd say any dual hydro walk behind would do that fine. i mow one with my belt drive at about that slope. i just go sideways. not very comfortable but it gets it done