1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best mower for beginner commercial use??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Aug 20, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Next season Im looking for 20-30 residential and a few small commercial accounts. My Lawnboy ZTR just wont cut it!
    Now, I was seomthing inexpensive. Looking for something with more power then my 14hp and alot better quality. also would need the deck lifting pedal. I also want a 42"-50" deck.
    I was looking for something in the range of a scag Z-cat. Another thing, Are mowers like that worth getting? Is it going to get me my 20-30 account ok?
  2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

What's your price range?

What are the sizes of your properties? Are they all flat or are some of them hilly?

Answering these questions will help us give you advice on which type of mower you should be considering.
  3. stevenf

Im looking at the 4k range mowers such as the one I mentioned or the Dixie chopper silver eagle.....
    I cant tell you the outcome of next season so I wont know what type of yards Ill have. I know I will be targeting smaller-mid sized residential neighborhoods and the commercial accounts I will be looking for will be the smaller ones also.
    I just want a rider that barley beats the home edition mark as far as quality and power goes. The beginner commercial....
  4. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Check out the enforcer series they make 44", 48" and 54". They are right around 4000-5000
  5. stevenf

Does anyone else reccommend the cub cadets over dixie chopper or scag z-cat riders?
  6. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Z-CATS have the kawasaki, they are gone scag stopped em you might still find one at a dealer do the 42 inch cut if you get one they are a top mower.
  8. stevenf

Ive read that so many people call home depot equipment garbage but are now recommending it to me???
    Also, why would you not get a 44 inch, 18hp dixie?
  9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Noone in this thread has recommended a Home Depot mower. what are you talking about?
  10. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

42" fastrak....3'ish grand.....my first mower (2 years ago)....42" mini z...5 grand out the door. My new mower this year. The fastrak is my backup now. I could have kept using the Fastrak but wanted to keep it as a good backup instead of beating it to death for another season. Plus I went from about 30 accounts to almost 80 this year.