Best mower for high end residential

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by jllawncare1128, Mar 19, 2013.

1. ric1

ric1 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

It sounds like a lot of my properties I do. A stander works well for me. The Toro Grandstand 36" great maneuverability for gates and small areas, fast for less than an acre.

2. creatived

creatived LawnSite Member

Exmark are tanks! I have had several Walkers and they are slow and a maintenance nightmare, quality of cut is awesome though. If you are a patient operator get a Walker and your client will be happy. Exmark with Trac Vac will give a great finished product as well and you will make more money.

3. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

I third this! :laugh: a Walker is hard to beat on high end heavily landscaped properties. They leave a gorgeous manicured cut.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

If you are doing some smaller high end properties, DO NOT use a Z. Customers will frown on that. Get yourself a Turf Tracer or similar to do those lawns, you and your customer will be happy.

For the large properties, can't beat the cut of a Z900 series Deere. How about the Z925 with EFI with MOD option?

5. johnnyusa

johnnyusa LawnSite Senior Member

Ive had Scag, exmark,deere, bunton ,Gravely ,toro and walkers.i have a gravely 260z and Love the gravely for big places and would buy another but the Walker is in a whole different category for smaller manicured residentials 1/2 acre or less .When you cut with a walker you keep the accounts , I cut 4 lawns in one neighborhood for 8 yrs. where a large contractor lives who uses scag and exmark ztr's . as soon as I bought 2 walkers one year i picked up 16 more lawns down around his street except him and now he's been stopping and asking me about the walkers when he sees me and i tell him yeah they're ok Lol . It wouldnt shock me if he switched to walkers for residential , but he does a lot of big fields 5 to 6 acres where ztr;s shine and walkers are much pricier. Do a search and ck out chestnut oaks walker pics .

6. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

Not trying to get into the dreaded walker/navigator debate but I run navigators and couldn't agree more with Johnny USA on this type of mower. They can't be beat on a small residential lawn. They are anazing
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Lots of Walkers in my area but then there is the clipping disposal drill and the nutrients are pulled from lawn. Granted it is often faster to bag and cut once than double cut and mulch and side discharge like I do with WB mowers.

Not try to sway this but in one of the recent threads an Exmark 30 TurfMaster said he liked this mower better [faster] than his Walker....?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. jllawncare1128

jllawncare1128 LawnSite Member

after mowing a few of them today i think the toro/exmark 30 may be the ticket.

9. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

Take my word on it, if your looking for a good quality cut, the 30" Commercial will give you just that. The 30" Turf Master was one of my FIRST machines and I got MANY, MANY compliments on the cut itself when using that mower. I can't speak for walker, but I know a push mower cut may not be the fastest, but it's hard to beat the right push mower in quality of cuts. Easy to make your patterns and keep your lines straight. If you keep the blades sharp on that 30" you'll be happy. I have a 30", I'm actually thinking of down sizing it to a Toro Heavy Duty for those high quality lawns that demand the "Perfect" cut. I can cut faster with a bigger mower, but I believe I can lay a better cut with a smaller mower.

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

there are many options for walker, you do not HAVE to bag with them, even the GHS model.