Best mower for leaf removal/regular cutting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by allstar, Oct 6, 2003.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I'm trying to decide which mower to buy and would appreciate some advice.I believe that I can afford ONE nice,large mower.For the next few months it will be mainly used for leaf removal and cleanups.I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 choices:Exmark Lazer Z w/Ultravac or the Hustler Super Z(or mini Z) w/BacVac.I'm leaning towards the Exmark because the bagger is easier to remove.Also,the guy helping me said that far fewer Exmarks are brought in needing repairs than Hustlers.They sell both brands.
    In the spring I'll want to remove the bagger and install mulching blades so quality of cut,maneuverability,etc. are important also.Any help would be appreciated. Jim

2. lightninglawncare

lightninglawncare LawnSite Member

go with the exmark

3. DMA

DMA LawnSite Member

Have not used the Exmark vac but I do have the Hustler super z with the Bac-vac. Limited use with leaves so far but with grass and what leaves we have had I am very pleased. To remove, pull two pins and lift off the storage tank. It is a quality built piece of equipment.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Ok
    Exmark 13.5 bushel's, Hustler 9 Bushel's. Now guess the one that cut's up the leaves more? EXMARK!!!!!
    John

lazerbag500res.jpg

5. s&wlawncare

s&wlawncare LawnSite Member

WALKER!!!! I Love Mine great cut too

6. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

got a cyclone rake 33 or 34 bushels. Heck when its that big, its hard to remember single digits, forget about 1/10ths. That thing will go 2-3 times as long as all others. Makes it real nice on large properties where it will get filled 7-10 times weekly and makes a real neat pile that will stretch 30' plus. Its a real scene and can draw attention.

7. Lawnalternatives

Lawnalternatives LawnSite Member

8. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler Z with 3 bag collection system. Nice unit. Picks up everything.

9. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i use a exmark lazer with a cyclone rake 32 bushels.i ordered the ultra vac for my new lazer.been told many good things about the ultra vac

10. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lazer w/ an UltraVac. Best combo I've ever used. Get a 52" or 60" deck, and add an anti-blowout to the deck, and you will clean up some serious leaves!!!