Best mower for my application

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Woodward, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Woodward

Woodward LawnSite Member

I would like your opinions on these mowers including durability etc... Scag, Grasshopper, Exmark and Gravely. I have one 10 acre commercial account and the rest are all 1/2 acre to 3 acre residential. If service from my dealer was the same and distance to these dealers were all fairly close to the same, which of these would you purchase? Also would you buy a mid mount or a front mount?
    Thanks for your info and time
    Don

2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Demo a machine from each on your list above. Make sure you demo them on YOUR properties, to get a feel in the real world where you mow.

I do not think you should factor in the 10 acre place. What if you buy a bigger machine to knock the 10 acres out and you lose it? Then you are back to 1/2 to 3 acre stuff only. I say to fit machine on the smaller lawns first, because you know it will handle the larger ones as well. All just my opinion.....:D

3. Woodward

Woodward LawnSite Member

Thanks for your reply crazygator. Would looking at 60" cuts be to big.

4. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

No, but it all depends on the smaller stuff. I am getting a Lazer HP 52" in a few months. I have from 1 1/2 acres down to 1/4. I have many more smaller properties than large ones, so I am fitting that requirement first. I do have a 36" Turf Tracer as well.

But you need to look at all the machines out there. Dont take my word, or someone elses here. The machine has to fit your needs, and the only way to know for sure is demo demo demo. Ride it up down and all around. If you have hills, get that sucker on them and see if it will stay. The only way you will know is by trying it yourself.

5. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

boy you opened up a can of worms on your very first try.i don't know much about gravely.but since you asked here goes-exmark cuts the best,its the lightest,parts are cheap.scag tt-big,heavy,handles hills best.hopper -kubota engine will outlast 3 mowers.outfronts have some advanages but bad rap for wearing out.right now i'm facing same problem ,today its exmark ,tommorrow it may be scag or kubota zd28f i got about 6wks to figure it out.:cool:

6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

The bigger you go, the higher your production will be. The higher the production is, the more per hour the company makes and the less per hour it costs to make that money. If you have small and large properties, don't get a machine that is wonderful for large and a struggle to get around on small lots.

7. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Well what mowers do you have now? You may want to look at a 61inch because these mowers can do the 1/2 acre lawn but also cut a 10acre lawn in resonable amount of time. All depends upon what your plans are for the future of your biz, if your looking at doing bigger lawns then definatly look at a 61inch or possible a 72inch.
    I have a 52inch Scag Turf Tiger, and the majority of lawns I do are 1acre to 2acre lawns and in some ways I wish I would have went with the 61inch, but the 52inch can get in small areas but can do big wide open areas fairly quickly.
    Also if your on a budget look at your options on that end too.
    Matt

8. Woodward

Woodward LawnSite Member

Should I look at purchasing a front mount because of the fact that they are able to trim better and get into spots the mid mount can't. Wich of these hold hills better the front mount or mid mount? With good maintinence how many hours can I expect a
    60" 27hp Emark to last until it now longer is feasible to fix intead of replace? Since a grasshoppper with its better motor would out last the mower itself, would it be cost effective to continue to fix it or would it be better to get a Exmark and replace sooner with the initial savings at purchase?

9. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Mid mounts usually hang hills alot better than front mounts. Also ZTR's can cut a lawn alot faster than a front deck model, even did a test with my WB verses a JD F710, i walked the WB and i finished a few minutes earlier than the JD did. YOu can get pretty close to things with the ZTR.
    Matt

10. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

take a 61'' grasshopper one outfront one midmount both with same engine the outfront holds hills much better.i guarantee it! the outfront with g2 trans. also has same topspeed.demo both for sure.:eek: