best mower for residence

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by dippyduck, Jun 20, 2004.

1. dippyduck

dippyduck LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a mower to cut my 1 acre residence. I want a machine that will give a quality cut and provide years of productivity. About 1/4 of my yard has a hill. I have numerous "mulched" trees and beds to cut around. Would I be better off with a commercial type walkbehind "exmark metro/viking" or a small rider- Hustler Fastrack? Also what would be the best size deck to allow for close trimming? I also would like to bag about 1/2 of my lot on occasion. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Dippyduck,

What are you using now. As a general rule a commercial walk behind will cut you mowing time in about half compared to a lawn tractor. If you've got some fairly steep hills a walk behind may be just what your looking for.

I really like the 48", 52" and 60" walk behind mowers for trimming. The 52" Lazer HP, Lazer CT and the 60" and larger full size Lazer also trim well.

My recomendation would be to demo the Metro and Viking at your local dealership. If the property is mostly wide open and you can mow around everthing and there is little need for quick reverse or backing up any inclines the Metro would do the job just fine.

The Viking has the added advantage of a positive reverse, zero turn capabilities and smoother controls.

Like I said a demo may be just what you need to determine which one best fits your needs.

Thanks

Terry