1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best mower for strictly residential

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dbowling, Jan 14, 2005.

1. dbowling

dbowling LawnSite Member

Work 4 10 hr. days and have 3 days off every week, wanting to get into mowing small to med. size residential yards. What would be the best mower to look at, walk behind and zero raduis rider, needs to be small enough to get through gates etc.Thanks, Dean
  2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Any 36" hydro walkbehind should do the trick.
  3. "LIL" Godfather

"LIL" Godfather Banned
    from hawaii

36" eXmark turf tracer hp. one of the best walkbehinds IMO.
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

[QUOTE="LIL" Godfather]36" eXmark turf tracer hp. one of the best walkbehinds IMO.[/QUOTE]
    TCLawn, one name on lawnsite please. This one will be removed.
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I thought TCLawn was a advocate of Quick 36's not Exmark's.

Nonetheless I vote Exmark TTHP because of its deck design, especially the ease of rake adjustment, baffling, mulching ability, and outstanding dealer support.
  6. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

if your neighborhoods like mine, then the 36's are too big for the gates... best ive seen that i would like to have around here is a Gravely 34" z.. that or a 32" wb... wright is making a 32" stander this year also... idealy i would have the 34z and a walk behind.. measure your gates first before any purchase.. some of the chan link fences i have are a perfect 35"... You'll pay a little more for the gravely... but your work will be far less with it over the wb.... also Hustler's 36" rider.. but depends on your gates ... remember to measure and know exactly the width of the mower.. some are close to the cut almost, and others are over an inch or 2.
  7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

TracerHP's..Nice & Compact & Mulch Good.

32" Walks are All Belts...Belts Bad on Small Props

32" Wright Stander...Mabe...But Fixed Deck & Lots of Rutting in Soft

34" Rider ?--You're Nutz if You think Using a Mid-Mount on Small Accounts is "Productive".