best mower for the job

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by V.H. lass, Sep 18, 2001.

1. V.H. lass

V.H. lass LawnSite Member

What is the best mower for 4.5 acres of property.
    it is basicly a flat lawn and I am currently using a 16.5 sears ride mower with a 42" deck. I also have access to a jd 60" deck :angel: :confused: :confused:

2. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

Honestly we need more info for a good recommendation - how much can the budget stand, and how much time (how fast) to you desire to mow; the "best" may cost $12,000 and that may be fine with you - or NOT, and a compromise is in order. I think most responses from this site are going to advise a commercial mower, 52" or larger, prices are from about $6000 and up, for new equipment. If this still breaks the bank, you're looking at used commercial or a serious compromise - homeowner type. What is the John Deere 60" "access"? This may be your best comparison - something you can try out.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

exmark Lazer 60"

4. smalltime

smalltime LawnSite Member

If you are trying to keep costs down and want something that will and has stood the test of time. Look into a Cub Loboy. It was made by International in the 70s. They had 60 inch decks, 18.5 horse, on the 185, and give probably one of the best mowing jobs you will ever see. That is, with a woods belly mower installed.

I have a dixie chopper, which I absolutely love, but if I had wide open fields with few trees, I would have kept my cub lo-boy.

Look for one in good shape at about $2000 - $3000. The other advantage to the cub, is since they are so old and are pretty much collector items. You can run one for years, keep it maintained, and still sell it for what you paid for it.

Something to think about.

Steve

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Look into the large commercial walkbehinds like Toro Proline.I believe the new ones only go up to a 52" deck but if you look around you may find one of the old 60" deck series. Get a sulky or a proslide so you don't have to walk.

The T-bar system is easy to use, the mowers have been around for a long time and the price is right (depending on new or used).
    A commercial machine walk behind is the most economical mower for your situation. Good Luck.