best mower for the job?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by throughthestormllc, Apr 11, 2008.

1. throughthestormllc

throughthestormllc LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a zero turn for the farm i work for. we will be mowing about 5 acres with it. someone had bought a stiener but it is junk! so i am looking to spend 10000 + or -. hopefully -. 50 ish inch deck looking for durability due to 7 diffrenet people that will be mowing with it. I like the exmarks and kubota's curious about the john deeres have four of the tractors so it would match and we have a dealer 5 miles away. any suggestions?
  2. You couldn't go wrong with any of those choices. In your situation I'd pick the JD just for dealer support and availability.
    But a 50" deck on a ZTR won't give very good trimming ability because not much deck sticks out past the tire. I'd get a 60" deck.
  3. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn LawnSite Member

I just picked up a Kubota 326, 60" with 26hp diesel for use on my farm. They're going for $11k, with 0% loan for 3.5 years. For a diesel mower, that's pretty cheap - never thought I'd say Kubota and cheap in the same sentence.

So far, it's done very well. Cuts very clean, runs great, fairly quiet, great feel to the steer bars. Hydraulic blade clutch, shaft drive to the deck, hydro deck lift (that's nice), and a built in jack to raise the front end for blade service.

Stick with a commercial quality mower. I bought my last one (Dixon 560) fifteen years ago, and am just now retiring it for the Kubota. Engine was pretty much gone after all that time, deck and hydro drive still working fine. If the Kubota holds up as well, and I expect it to, I'll be pleased as punch.
  4. Jonathan bradley

Jonathan bradley LawnSite Member

hi, i have a 72" toro with a 29 hp. liquid cooled engine and i love it. it has by far been the best mower I ever had. as for John Deere I have had two of there mowers neither was any good one was commercial and one was not the worst part for me was customer service. one time they had my commercial mower for 2 months and would not give me a loaner. but they did cover the problem under the warranty. I had this mower for two years in that time john Deere had this mower in for repair for 6 months all together. it may be just there in tennessee but I have talked to several other people around here and they too had had problems on all mowing equ. but not on farm equ.
  5. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

My local dealer is selling the ZD331 w/60" deck for $10,500 - NEW. :usflag: