Best mower for towing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jolly, Oct 19, 2005.

1. jolly

jolly LawnSite Member

OK, I need a zero-turn suitable for towing a brush cutter. But not acres and acres. A small area. Also, what's a good towable brush cutter?

OK, give it to me!

Thanx Much!

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

You arent gonna find a ztr equipped to tow a pto powered brush cutter ANYWHERE. Gotta have a large tractor for that feature.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not to entirely disagree, but I THINK they make small tractors with small brush-cutter attachments ... Something like this:

Now you got your compact tractor, you need a compact brush-cutter, like this:

(Keep in mind one is Ford the other is John Deere, but you get the idea).

To be quite honest, I'd look for an older used 52" - to 60" Wb in the $1,000 range, you can take those older Toros through the woods and the fields without much further ado, I've cut horse pasture with my old one before.

And maybe I'm crazy, but would THIS work:

If you're still kinda wondering, here's the whole slew:
  4. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

I think he means one of those things like Swisher makes that has a little 6 horse engine on it its ofset from the main mower made to pull behind ATV's
  5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

deisel walker with a 62" deck. oh, you dont need to buy a mower to pull behind it either.
  6. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie Chopper commercial series mowers (not Silver Eagle) are rated to pull 2,000 pounds.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

First of all, we neeed to know his dedinition or idea of a "brushcutter", because this type of pull behind finish will NOT cut brush and/or high weeds very well.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

They do make a true "brush hog" tow behind with it's own engine. Sorry no pictures. Try looking at farm equipment supliers. If you want to mount it to a Z you're going to have to fabricate something. Also you'll need a plexiglass shield mounted behind you. Brush cutters tend to hurl things from under the deck.
  10. jolly

jolly LawnSite Member

I need info on a zero-turn for my yard that can pull a Swisher-type brushcutter for grown-up area(the back 9 acres) a couple times a year.
    No PTO tractors.

Thanx for info.