Best Mower for Wet Grass??....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by McFarland_Lawn_Care, Aug 22, 2007.

1. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Everyone,
    Up here in Maine we have a LOT of dew EVERY morning in the summer since the temps dip down so much at night. Because of this, I haven't been starting my mowing until around 10:00 after the sun dries it off. This is a big pain and puts me way behind. I have a Toro Z master 48" and a couple Toro 21" and they all clump with wet grass. I want to buy ANY mower that will handle wet grass the best. Looking for a walkbehind, but will take a zero turn also.... any suggestions would be REALLY apreciated!!! I've seen some Walkers mowing in the pooring rain...they seem to run fine, but still clump the grass a lot. I don't expect NO clumping, but a minimum would be excellent. Thanks so much....I rarely post on here but read OFTEN and have learned a lot from other Professionals on here.:usflag:
  2. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

It's not the mower as much as it is the blades you use. Since we invented the MEG MO blades we do not have those problems any more.
  3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Meg Mo or gator blades and raise your deck. I have the same equipment as you and have cut grass that was absolutely soaked from all the flooding we had back in May, June and July (42+ days of straight rain/flooding) and didn't have any problems. Had to cut between storms.
  4. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Meg-Mo....where can I get your blades from? Thanks for the replies and ALL_Toro_4me.. thanks...

5. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Nevermind...just found Meg_mo website... I'm kind of suspicious about them and it doesn't look like an easy/quick removal if I wanted to put regular blades on them. I may try regular high lift blades first. Thanks for the info, I'll read up on the Meg mo system some more and I'll think about putting it on a walkbehind next spring. Thank you...... =) ;D
  6. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

What does wet grass look like?;)
  7. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Try using Fluid Film on the deck. Use it regularly and it should help quite a bit.
  8. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

The MEG MO blades go on your mower just like OEM blades do. We make the MEG MO blades to fit just like OEM blades do.
  9. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

looks like meg mo has started a thread under cover lol! any who find you an old exmark with the tri-vantage deck. nothing better for cutting in that morning dew or finishing one up in the pouring rain.
  10. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

This is where I will toot scags horn for them. I have never seen anything outcut a scag in the wet.