Best Mower for Wet Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by billyebrown, May 21, 2004.

1. billyebrown

billyebrown LawnSite Member

Hey Folks,

Just wanted to get input on the best ZTR for handling wet conditions (heavy dew, showers, etc). I currently have a Exmark Metro WB and it is terrible in any type of wet conditions due to clogging and clumping especially if the grass is getting slightly tall. I had one dealer tell me that stamped decks are much better because of smoother surface and better flow. Any opinions?

Also whenever I mow over dandelions when I turn around and look it is as if they are standing up laughing at me. What am I doing wrong. It doesn't matter if just sharpened blades or not. I would think that if these decks have such a powerful vacuum it would stand them right up and chop there little heads off!

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

The problem with the dandelions is the deck pushes them down and flattens them before the blades get to them.

Gotta get the customer to spray the dandelions, either you or another company.

3. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

I suggest getting high lift blades for spring time high wet grass. I have spent too much time trying to straighten and/or repair stamped decks. They cannot take the abuse that welded decks take. I rarely have to double cut any lawn that is under 7-8" tall. We cut at 3 or 3.5"....Chuck

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

We have had a very heavy dew several mornings this season and my Hustler Mini Z has cut through the wet stuff with no problems as of yet. I haven't gotten to test it out in the rain yet but hopefully I will get the chance soon.