1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

best mower mower

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by JRS Landscaping, Jan 7, 2007.

1. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

hi i have a landscaping business and do mostly residential. i currently have a 48 belt wb and a 32 belt wb . iam going to sell the 48 because im lookin to up grade. its a really nice mower but i was looking into getting a 48 hydro or a walker or stander even a lazer z but i don't know what to consider buying
    BTW 48 is the absolute biggest deck size i can get
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

100 different answers for this question. It is like asking what is the best truck, or who makes a better hamburger. If you do a search entering sme of these brand names, there will be enough reading here to keep you going until the grass grows. Just look back to threads from the past year or so, though - because there have been some changes and such on some models (decks, engine selection, etc.) Anyway, the reason I say this, is because if you ask this, all you are going to get is x percent of people saying Exmark, y percent of people saying Scag, a percent saying Toro, b percent saying Ferris, some saying Dixie, and etc., etc.. It just goes round and round.
  3. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

im not asking for a brand name....... im asking for a style such as stander, rider, walker type mower, or a hydro walkbehind
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say a hydro wb. I don't understand the point of a small rider. It depends on the lay-out of your lawns and any obstacles on them.
  5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Dido, a hydro w/b is the way to go. I might re-think our decision to buy a 50" Lazer HP. My problem is bagging capacity, a bagger for a w/b is just too small, I'm tired of having to empty the bagger every pass or two. We bought a Trac Vac w/dual 44gal containers for our Lazer so I hope this will eliminate some time.
  6. cheeser

cheeser LawnSite Member

the best equipment is best defined by your needs. it's good to consider the versatility of a 48'' belt driven... inexpensive to acquire, inexpensive to repair and you can mow a lot of acreage with one mower. you might consider keeping your larger w/b and selling the smaller one (unless you do quite a bit of fenced-in lawns). every tool has it's optimal application,but the 48'' belt driven is the most versatile in my opinion. if the price of a hydro does not concern you, they are nicer to mow with. floating decks are more forgiving too.