1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

best mowers for steep hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gem, Mar 30, 2006.

1. gem

gem LawnSite Member

I am looking to purchase a walk behind that will primarily be used for steep contoured hillsides. Probably 48" to 54" deck. Mowing will be done horizontally with the contour, not up and down (vertical). What are your opinions on the best mowers and why.
    Thanks for the help.
  2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Hustler Super WB
    Try a search
  3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

That is what WB does, cutting slope. eXmark TTHP. I only use my eXmark for hill properties, the rest is done with rider. You asked why, well, based on my experience with eXmark WB for 4 years, they have not given me any problem and the cut on hill is superb. The bad side of WB is draining energy if used primarily as bread and butter, at end of day, feeled like dying.:nono:
  4. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

Many of my residential properties have steep hills. I love the 52" Wright Sentar! It is a monster with hills. The center of gravity is very low and it really sticks to the side of that hill.

Jon Coleman
    CLIP Lawn Care
    Maryland, USA
  5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

That is why I have the bullrider sulky on mine 90% of the time. The best of both.