1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

best mowing height for optimal striping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lambdin, Jul 6, 2008.

1. lambdin

lambdin LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I just recently started striping my lawn ( have cub cadet 3240 with built in stripe roller) and was wondering what mowing depth will make the stripe stand out the most, I live in southern Indiana and typically mow tall and creeping fescue, thanks.
  2. Baseballer1100

Baseballer1100 LawnSite Member

The higher the better. I personally like 3.25 but thats just me.
  3. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

i have mine set at 4'', it does a really good job with the lines.
  4. S L C

S L C LawnSite Senior Member

3.5" seems to be best in my area!!!! Doesn't look so 'shaggy' when done!!! :drinkup:
  5. lambdin

lambdin LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I mowed at about 3" couple days ago and i couldnt hardly see the stipe, I'll try 4" next time. DSC01549.jpg

6. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have every mower I have set on 4.25. The higher the better it seems to do pretty well when striping.
  7. mike r

mike r LawnSite Member

that 3000 is a nice machine i assume 48" deck. how many hours is on that, and how old is it. as for the stripes, i've found that the nicest stripes are laid down all through spring,
    although as the heat of summer comes in the year, the grass gets super stiff and therefore less of an effect. now, as far as really nice defined stripes, the lawn or lawns you maintain must be very lush and thick. as for cutting height 3" or greater is best,but seeing your from indiana you have cool season grass, and the minimum here would be and should'nt be cut any lower than 2.25". now as far as your roller from your picture looks like you should do very well, with that setup. further this roller must not contact the ground, being that the rollers are connected directly to your deck, and if your lawn is rough ground, (not the grass) rolling and bumpy, this will make your deck and blades cut uneven. those rollers you have should just touch the tops of the grass blades and not the ground. lot's of luck

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Last time I cut mine it was set at 4.625" and I was disappointed to realize at this time
    the height setting device won't let me go higher than 5" if I can even get it past 4.875"
    I might be able to squeeze in either 5" or 5.125" but I know 5.250" is out of the question.
  9. lambdin

lambdin LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

It's a 40th aniversery model 1961-2001 but the production date is 2002, it has the 54" deck with 292 hours on it. it's built really heavy with a huge cast iron tranny and the shaft driven deck weighs 268lbs, for the aniversery cub gave it power steering, evak pto, diff lock, all shaft drive, cast iron tranny, paint sceme, 22hp kohler, and hub caps. its been raining here the last couple days so the grass is improving, I'm going to crank the deck height up to 4.25" and adjust the roller, thanks for the tip in regards to the roller. Cub Cadet 3240 side.jpg

Cub Cadet 3240 side.jpg
  10. mike r

mike r LawnSite Member

one more note about the cub,I had a 2160 cub one size smaller than yours years ago, and
    don,t let this happen to you though, what happened was the transmission fluid fill in these units, were (are) a "push on" type filler dipstick and watch that no grass clippings gets around that and also keep an eye on it, because mine there was no resistance to it at all and sometimes would fall off, now that your machine is a 2002 model year they may have changed to threads. but the point is just to say this dipstick filler cost me $300.00 to have the dealer flush and clean the drive out of grass clippings!
    sooo any way, machine looks real good for the time on it.