1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best mulch for windy areas - Ohio

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by HISnHERS, Jun 16, 2009.

HISnHERS LawnSite Member

In your experience, what's the best mulch you have found for resisting wind? What I'm talking about are those little wind tunnels that seem to form around the corners of a house or in between houses in close quarter subdivisions.

Is there a technique that you've found that helps? I try to make sure that all edging is at least 4 to 6 inches deep and will apply 3 to 4 inches of mulch, usually triple shredded bark.

And yes I know that I should consider mulch that blows away an up $ell opportunity and all that, but just wanting to know.
  2. ancjr

ancjr Banned
    from Indiana

lava rock.
  3. Danscapes

Danscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Triple shred is your first problem. Use a course hardwood instead of that triple shredded dust.
  4. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the "cheap" mulch. Dont get the double or triple shredded.

HISnHERS LawnSite Member

Alrighty then, I'm getting the hint here. When wind is a problem consider using the cheapo single shred. I like the lava rock idea too. Thanks for the tips.
  6. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

It doesn't sound like anyone really answered your question. They just named their favorite mulch. So here goes: my favorite is the finest hardwood "dust" I can buy. And I don't have any difficulty with it blowing.
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I use a double processed hardwood mulch that compresses and stays in place. I also have no problems blowing leaves off of it with the leaf blower. Sure, I'll move some chunks around, but as long as I'm not to aggressive it stays in place.

My supplier tried to switch to a cheaper Red Oak hardwood mulch, and it sucked. It was more shredded and chipped rather than a consistency of chips and peat moss.