Best mulching blade on Toro Proline 21

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Sharks, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I get good results mulching with my 21 but always trying to improve. I know this has been hammered to death in other threads but hopefully some new products are out that are worth trying.

I am not interested in running doubles.

Any cool blades out there to make my Proline shiine?

:waving:

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Try a gator (if available). I have been happy with the factory blade on my 21".

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm real happy with the stock blade. Mine are exmarks with the "Excalibur" blade though and I'm not sure if they have a different blade than the Toro ( I imagine it's not). I've been mulching thick wet St. augustine without any bogging in normal growth.. And a super nice cut. I dunno, but tell us what you find if you experiment.

4. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I, too, have found the stock blade to work well for mulching and was hoping to find someone who has tried others to see if there was a noticable improvement.
    Perhaps I will try one of the Toro Atomic blades and see how that goes.

Thanks!

5. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Keth

We have a 3 Toro Prolines 21 inch (all with BBC) that we use for mulching cool season grasses except for two yards that want it bagged. We are happy with the standard Toro blade that came with the 2004 model. We wanted to try some other blades to see if they were better so ordered an Oregon Gator Mulcher last time with the balance the standard Oregon replacement blade for the toro. It seems to be a moderate improvement when cutting the higher heavy growth lawns. It seems to dispurse the heavy growth clippings better. With light growth I cannot tell the difference as the standard blade does very well. We sharpened the new blade before using it as it did not seem to be ground all the way to the edge and had a heavy paint coat on the overall blade including cutting edge. We usually file new blades to the standard angle. We left the kickers under the deck in with the new blade. The Gator Mulcher seems to work fine with the two lawns we bag as well. If you can not find a place to purchase try one of our sponsors, Landscape Supply. They had good price with resonable shipping if you are buying a few blades or other items. The gators were a couple $ more per blade IIRC. I think this will be the normal blade we use in the future.

Wayne

6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Use the Stock Blade...The 4Stoke Prolines come w/a Different OEM Blade than the Old Suzuki/Prolines...The Old Suzuki/Proline Blade is Better and You can Still Get them from J-Thomas...

Atomics and Gators Suck.

RIP Suzuki.

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Meg mo works great for normal growth. They bog down faster than the standard blade in heavy growth.

I like the OEM blade just keep it sharp.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I know the topic has been thrown around many times, and my findings obviously don't agree with others, but I'll share ....

I've had my 21" Proline, 5.5hp Sizuki, for three seasons. I did some mulching, but mostly bagging of grass. In Fall 2003, I bought an Atomic mulching blade for leaves. The OEM blade did a pretty good job, but was looking for something better. I saw no difference for leaf work from the OEM blade, and the Atomic blade did not have enough discharge capacity to use for bagging grass. I didn't want to switch back and forth, so set aside the Atomic blade.

Early last season (April), I was having so much trouble bagging wet/damp grass with the Toro, I bought a LawnBoy, with side bagging chute. The LB was far superior for bagging. But, in the process of trying to make the Toro bag better, I took out the three plastic "kicker" plates.

This season, I have bought a hi-lift blade for the Toro for bagging -- a big difference from the OEM blade (see another thread on this topic). But, in the never ending quest to do more mulching, I dug out the Atomic blade again. It had sat in the shop for more than a year.

I mounted the Atomic blade, with the center accelerator plate, and found it is the best mulcher I now have. The power requirement is far less than an OEM blade (and the hi-lift blade will not work at all!), and does a very good job of recutting clippings, not merely shredding them (like the LB, or the OEM blade on the Toro). No, it won't bag anything, but I've found it useful on many occasions that saved me a bagging job. The primary channel of the underside of the deck remains slick clean.

My turf is cool weather grasses, ryegrasses, fescues, and bluegrasses.

So, my final configuration:
    1. Atomic blade
    2. Accelerator plate in the center
    3. Kicker plates on the shelf in the shop