1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Mulching Blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by affprop, Feb 9, 2003.

1. affprop

affprop LawnSite Member

I have not been very big into mulching cause I had a place to dump clippings, This year I want to mulch more, I have a 2 walkers and two JD 1 quicktrac and one JD45 hydro, Is there a better blade or more preferred blade out there? I know that Im going to have to replace my decks on the walkers, cause they have gts. Im going to probably leave one set up with the 48 deck but the other one I would like to mulch. and then the JDs. I have been looking at blades and then this year I would like to get set up to sharpen my own blades instead of sending them out. any help would be great. Thanks.
  2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

i prefer the gator blades! they work great an mulch well i run these all year around!keep em good an sharp an ya couldnt ask for a better blade!
  3. Barker's Lawn Care

Barker's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I, personally, would stay away from the gators all year around. My old mower(Bunton) was leaving uncut grass and was making the whole stripe of grass twist in a certain direction (clockwise or counter clockwise i don't remember) I even had a customer bring this to my attention and I promised to never cut with them again. I was just lucky he was very forgiving and didn't raise heck. I did experience this first hand but it doesn't mean you will too(it could have been the mower deck)whop knows! Just my opinion!

4. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I use Raptor blades for my 36" Scagg w/b, They work very good for me, I have been told that they make the blades for Scagg ?? Has anyone ever here of this??

5. Barker's Lawn Care

Barker's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

6. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing mulches like 'em! Have used them for 2 years now. They completely pulverize leaves. Some yards may require 2 passes, some don't. I pay $11.00 for mine for my 52"/36".

Stay away from Ninja blades- they don't work.

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I saw a mowing aquaintence who's given me really good advice in the past at the dealer the other day and he said he recommended Raptor blades very highly. I've used Gators on Toro wb's in the past and couldn't tell much difference. I find that turf that is mowed frequently doesn't need special blades much, and grass that is too tall or wet is a mess no matter what it seems.
  8. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

scags original blade is the eliminator.

the aftermarket blade is the raptor.

we've used both, they both work great.

also have gators and gator mulcher magnums (very heavy blade)

they all have there place.
  9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Well I am not sure seh because we don't mulch around here. But I can tell you... If you or anyone else is interested in gator blades for a walker mower I have a couple of sets that are "brand new" never used that you can have for no charge. Just pay for the shipping. I got a wrong order in a while ago, and they are just sitting here.