Best Mulching Commercial Mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kite kid, Apr 28, 2008.

1. kite kid

kite kid LawnSite Member

My company is heading in the organic direction and we are looking to transition to mulching full time by the middle of the season.... This will include acquiring some new mowing equipment and I would like to hear what those of you who are currently mulch-mowing are using. I am interested in Walker brand mowers, but haven't heard much about their mulching decks. Any one out there?

2. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a walker mulching deck. It works great. Sometimes need to slow down a little when top groth is high, but still beats bagging.

3. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

my exmark walk behinds mulch great. Like all mulching mowers you will have to slow down a little when its taller and thicker, but they work great!

4. Sym

Sym LawnSite Member

I just bought a 52 inch 28hp Exmark with the Ultracut deck and it is a dream. This is my first mulching mower and I can't believe how good of a cut it leaves and the reduction of clean-up is incredible. I mostly cut St. Augustine/Floratam and bahai....I am sure results vary by grass.

I do think the extra hp makes it much easier...haven't really bogged down....yet.

5. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

If your company is headed in the organic direction, wouldn't you want to bag and create compost instead of mulching? How is mulching considered organic?

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

By dispersing the finely cut clippings back into the soil; thus reducing the needs for fertilizer.:confused:

7. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

I think you need to look up the definition of organic.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

nothing mulches better than my single blade toro 32 wb -go figure

9. J&J Customs

J&J Customs LawnSite Member

imo grasshopper mulches the best ive seen it turn leaves into dust in one pass

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

That surprises me as I thought the Walker had a pretty shallow deck, isn't it only three or four inches deep?