Best mulching mower - leaf season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AlpineNaturescapes, Nov 4, 2005.

1. AlpineNaturescapes

AlpineNaturescapes LawnSite Member

Our leaf season is going very late. I would like to hear from everybody that mulches, the results they get. I usually just mulch up leaves, and grass. Run OEM wave blades or gator type mulching blades. My older Gravely Pro 50 is not completely baffled so it leaves a trail on the right edge of the deck. The Gravely 36 is completely baffled but doesn't suck up the leaves as well and has more blowout. As a dedicated mulching mower, I'm not sure I'm real happy with it.

What are your favorite mulching mowers for grass and leaves? How does the JD mulch on demand work? The new Hustlers with the extra power? Or other?

2. AlpineNaturescapes

If I re-named this thread "Best mulching mower" I think I would get much better response! Does anyone believe in mulching leaves?

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

The best mower I ever used to mulch with was my JD 717 with gators. It would turn leaves and straw to dust, could not tell the difference between using it, bagging, or raking.

4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Put MEG MO blades on any mower and get rid of 80 to 90 % of the leaves.

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have been using the Meg-mos on my Wright Stander and have had good luck mulching leaves this year. In fact I have not bagged any yet. I usually make 3 passes and the leaves are dust. That includes very heavy leaves....

strangely I had bad luck with the Meg-mos with just grass..... I think they will just be my leaf blades.......

Derek

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

snapper hi vac rider w/gator blade is peerless at mulching leaves which is good cause its a lousy grass cutter

7. AlpineNaturescapes

QLC,
    I've heard you talk about that before. Why did you sell the 717? Was it getting worn out? Did you like the gators for the grass cut too? Why do you think the 737 doesn't do as well?

Anyone use the meg-mos with the mulch baffles on?

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

AlpineNature, I sold the 717 to purchase another piece of equipment I needed worse and hated to do it. I was going to sale the 737 and keep the 717 but the 737 was newer, bigger and still under warranty. Had it to do over would have kept the 717 and not the 737.