Best mulching push for around $600.00 or under?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,
    I'm planning on buying a 5' X 8' utility trailer for next year. I'll probably get a trimmer rack and backpack blower rack. I wanted an enclosed, but it would stretch my pockets and I will probably upgrade to soon to make it worth it. I also want to purchase a Shindaiwa trimmer and use my Toros as back up. I also will be getting new truck tires and paying another 6 months of insurance. The one last thing I definitley want is a new push mower because I've run the crap out of my Toro. It still runs, but I want something that will leave less tire marks and mulch better. What push mower do you guys recommend I go with? I thought the Honda HRXs' look good, but I'm sure someone know of something better in the same price range. It may not be a large chunk of cash to you guys, but I want something to last most of the season and do a quality job without double mowing. Also, what tires do you guys recommend for my Ford Ranger. The size is P245/75R16 or 70R16, I can;t remember at this time. I was looking at the GoodYear Silent Armor, but are they worth their price (around $130 per tire). Thanks for any opinions guys. Good luck with the leafs.
  2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

get the honda best damn 21" mower ever! i love mine
  3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

stay away from the over head cam engines. I've seen tons of them in my honda dealer's shop. if you can find a honda with an ohv engine, go for 'em.

I would go with the toro super recycler otherwise.
  4. ALBsun1

ALBsun1 LawnSite Member

Can't go wrong with a honda, or a toro closest to you price range. I would recommend one of those. But, you seem to want to make the leap to the commercial push mower, but just can't justify it. But don't rule it out, now is a good time to shop around, some dealers have some of this year's models on sale, you never know, you might find a commercial mower at a good price. Hey, you have all winter to shop and look, so take your time.
  5. brit721

brit721 LawnSite Member

Earlier this summer I bought a Honda push mower unfortunately from Home it home and it would not crank, checked everything twice, it still would not crank...took it back and got another....same thing, even the guys there could not crank it, got a refund went to a power equipment dealer and bought the Snapper Hi-Vac, will mulch or bag, also is self propelled. I love it, comes with primer so it is extremely easy to start and I have done some slopes that required a walk-behind (ex. e-mark or bradley) and the snapper has worked remarkably, it is a 21 inch so I do need a bigger walk behind for those type jobs for efficiency, but I am a believer in that mower, it rocks!
  6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

brit, I trust you put oil and gas in the engine first right? just checkin'. you also held the safety down yes? if TWO engines won't crank new out of the box, you are doing something wrong, or it is a one in a million chance.
  7. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Yes yes yes. The honda gcv is crap. Ohc will not last like a tecumseh. If you want a honda the masters or commercial will only be good. Snappers mulch somewhat okay but those little mtds at lowes and homedepot are pretty good. I've never used a toro super recycler.
  8. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Brit, I have a snapper and love it too. Bag fills up quick though.
  9. FordManKubotaDreamer

FordManKubotaDreamer LawnSite Member

I have a lawnboy and love it. It mulches very well and it is easy to change from mulching, to side discharge, to bagging very quickly. I haven't had any real problems with it yet. :cool:
  10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

hands down the best 21 (and i have had them all) is the john deere jx 75/85 series. you cant buy a real lawnboy any more . get a snapper if you want to learn how to fix mowers. honda masters or commercial series second best. toro,s have lousey transmissions and poor gear ratio selections.