1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Mulching Z for St Augustine Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FloridaCutter, Jan 12, 2014.

1. FloridaCutter

FloridaCutter LawnSite Member

I currently mulch with a JD 717a, with a mulch kit and G6 Blades.. Never leaves a clump. I like the cut. Plus it only has a 19hp engine. I have heard some mowers need more HP to mulch. Let me know what combinations you have.

Looking to buy another Z and interested in hearing your experiences with different mowers, on St. Augustine grass.

I like mine but not real happy with the local Deere dealer. So open to make a change.
  2. I've mulched with Toro, Wright, and Ferris and all work well on St. Augustine. Toro did the best but it has a 21hp 48" deck.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. FloridaCutter

I'll check out the Toro, also Exmark, though some have said on this site that Exmark can clump in wet conditions.
  4. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll throw in my vote for a Hustler with the mulching kit and Gator Blades.
  5. they will all clump it wet conditions
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Bingo. I've run my exmark lazer z for 6yrs now on st. Aug. it's had the mulching kit since the day I bought it. Leaves a beautiful cut. Keep the deck clean and the blades sharp.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. i have found that gator blades with a full kit dont work well.....
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. FloridaCutter

Have you tried the Gator G6 Blades? I wasn't thrilled about my JD 717a with a mulch kit until I used them. It was my back up machine, and I use it all the time now.
  9. FloridaCutter

Yes, Exmark's do have a great looking cut. What model, HP, deck size do you have? Do you use Gator Blades or Exmark mulch?
  10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

So why do we have so many Scags down here? DC's used to be the standard and have fallen out of favor despite the fact they give a good cut on SA and Bahia. Waiting for the Walker zombies to rise from hibernation. So much comes down to proper deck setup. Pitch, blade depth, blade type, baffles, mulch kit and blocker plates can make all the difference.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    ericg likes this.