Best Mulching ZTR for Florida

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Nov 11, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a friend that ask which mower does the best job in Florida. He says he will be mulching a lot. So can some of you give me some opinions here. His top two choices are Exmark and Scag right now. So Velocity, Triton, Ultra Cut? He cuts grass in damp conditions often.

Our grass is totally different here and we don't mulch so I can't give him the best answers. I would appreciate input from the Gulf coast LCO's and owners on what is working and not working for them. Thanks...

I have also heard Hustler is popular in Florida?

2. CHUCK'SLAWN

CHUCK'SLAWN LawnSite Member

I'm mulching with a exmark lazer 52" 28HP and it cuts beautiful, remember he will need the Horsepower to mulch.

3. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

ty for the post and the resources tacoma

4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Having mowed Central Fl lawns for a living for the last 18 years, I think I can safely say that almost any of the major brands will mulch "St Augustine" grass well. Mowing Bahia is another story. Bahia is fairly easy until around the 4th of July. Then it starts growing so fast that when mulched it tends to clump up. The only solution is to mow higher or slower or double cut. I stopped taking on Bahia lawns over 10 years ago and now only mow St Augustine and just a couple Bahias. It was the best move I ever made.

5. tacoma200

Anyone else with general information on which ZTR works best in Florida?? I would appreciate any input..

6. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

There arent many mulching lco's around. Many OCDC mowers but not too many with full on mulching set ups.

I think that may be why you are not getting too many responses here.

7. tacoma200

8. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes that would be best. He should look at John Deere, as well as the others. If he is close to a green dealer, the service cannot be beat. The cut is fantastic in both St. Augustine and Bahia as well.