1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best multimeter

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Sep 5, 2011.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Well my side door on my utility body popped open around a corner and my meter fell out in the street and cracked open so I need a new one. What is everyone using? The one that broke wasnt anything special but I want to replace with a good one.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Fluke, with the availability of non-auto ranging with a clamp would be my choice.
  3. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I have Flukes and a Greenlee. I usually grab the Greenlee.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

breakage might point to getting multiples of cheaper multimeters - I stuck a $2.99 Harbor Freight cheapie into the case I keep wire nuts and stuff in, and it's been okay so far, but for my not much trusting the 200 ohm range (naturally, a Triplett 630 is ready to take over, but not needed this season)

More realistically, I've used a Beckman multimeter and found it very reliable.
  5. Mike Leary

Jim taught Russ and Russ taught me to use the 521 from the clock (well grounded) and a non-ranging multi at the valves to find faults.
  6. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Klein makes a good multimeter. It also makes sense to have a "Station Master".

I'm not sure I would use one from Harbor Freight. All their stuff is made in China and so by default CRAP!
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Of course it's crap, and I expected it to last eleven minutes or so, but it lives yet. Kind of how some of those Home Cheapo controllers insult our sensibilities by not exploding the moment they're connected to 24 VAC
  8. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

You mean like Klein? Its done well enough for me, reliable and with the rubber case hasn't busted the # of times I've dropped it, they make a durable clamp on meter as well. I have several Harbor Freight multimeter's they gave me for free when they ran out of their free flashlights, still in the package. I'm going to give them away as Christmas presents.

everybody should have a Station Master too, specially if the bulk of their sites don't have remotes.
  9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

of all of the multimeters that i have, the most used are my greenlee D20 and my armada pro-30.

under $30 for the greenlee and $20 for the pro-30.

both are manual, i use a separate clampmeter when measuring amperage so that i don't have to keep changing leads. the three are usually used as one for resistance, one for voltage and one for amperage. kind of a set and forget type of thing :)
  10. Mike Leary

And, you are who? :dizzy: :clapping::waving: