Best of slopes?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by coz, Oct 30, 2006.

1. coz

coz LawnSite Member

Buying new mower for next season. What is better on moderate slopes? ZTR or larger deck garden tractor?
  2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

John Deere X595! (Or what ever they are now!)

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Dual Hydro W/B is my choice
  4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Neither, a walk behind is the best choice.
  5. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Both are bad choices IMO. A hydro walk behind or stander would be much better and safer.
  6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

W.b Mower Best On Slopes
  7. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

I have to chime in here and say that I had a lawn tractor the first year in business and tried the slopes with it and about flipped it more times than I can count (different slopes not the same on over and over again), then I got a dual Hydro WB and jit will mow anywhere I can stand and then some places that are hard to stand. I then got a ZTR and I still feel unsecure on a slope and use the WB on them if they are very steep at all.... Good luck with your decision.
  8. MAKO19

MAKO19 LawnSite Member

Moderate Slopes? If a ZTR works for the other aspect of your lawns go with the ZTR. I have yet to meet a slope my ZTR couldn't handle. Maybe our idea of moderate is different but on a lawn I do has a very steep hill on it and I go across it with no problems. ZTRs will slide before they roll. Tractors are more unstable.

Good Luck
  9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

BERTPCP LawnSite Member

I agree with that statement, but the bad part about a ztr is that once you lose traction you lose your ability to steer. The walkbehind would be better because they are easier to control.