Best one for GRASSY weeds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ron mexico75, Aug 12, 2011.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Since the beloved MSMA is no more, what have you found to be really effective at killing grassy weeds as well as broadleaf weeds?. Q4 appears to have very limited selection as far as grassy weeds are concerned. Cannot reseed until 4 weeks after using Q4 either. It would need to be put down within the next week or 2 around here in order to overseed 2nd to 3rd week in September.

Used to use Trimec Plus and that stuff was awesome but it is obviously no longer sold. Iv'e looked at Drive too but it's listing of broadleaves isn't very long and it does list 9 grasses as being controlled.

Just wondering what would be best to use as a postemergent spot treatment in place of MSMA.

2. ron mexico75

Anyone on today?

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Sure. I would like to know what kind of turf you are attempting to control weeds in. What may be used on warm season turf might smoke cool season turf and visa versa.

4. ron mexico75

sorry, it would be a tall fescue. Im in zone 7. I treated with barricade in mid March, followed up with dimension toward the end of May. The lawn isn't bad but does have some clumps of a weedy grass and some broadleaf weeds. Nothing that I couldn't hit while walking around and spot spraying.

5. ron mexico75

Im leaning towards the Q4 as it's only $40 for a quart, $115 for a gallon. I figure maybe get the quart to try it. The Trimec-plus was awesome stuff but had MSMA and as you know is no longer sold.

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Q4 is your best bet. Personally, I was never impressed with Trimec Plus. Too much burn of the lawn and not enough root kill of weeds. I am in zone 11, all warm season grasses maintained at golf fairway height. I

7. ron mexico75

Yeah you're right about the burn to desireable turf with the MSMA. But that stuff worked. I would hate to buy something, spray it and have not work.

8. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

you might want to try Tenacity maybe combined with something else. I have a friend who has been using it as is having great results on crabgrass and nutsedge, he says it's working better than quinclorac and a little better than Solitare in July.

I'll be experimenting with my "ornacityflon" (fluazifop,mesotrione,triclopyr ester) mix very soon, to knock down bermuda, nimblewill, nutsedge, crabgrass, goosegrass, oxalis, etc. I hope it works well. I'll let you know.

Anyone else experimenting with Tenacity mixes?

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Has anybody invented a dual tank backpack sprayer? Spray Drive XLR8 for crabgrass with the left hand and Speedzone for broadleaves with the right.

10. jasontimm

jasontimm LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

You can mix drive with a 3-way and get very good results.