Best option for skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by buddhaman, Jun 10, 2006.

1. buddhaman

buddhaman LawnSite Member

Looking to purchase a new or relatively new skid steer. Need one for snow removal and light landscaping. What kind would any of you users recommend? What size? Tracks or tires? Any help or advice would be great.

2. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

on snow tires are your best bet.

my question is do you have any dealers near?,support is probably my major decision if i bought a machine.

after you know what dealers are near tell us and we'll throw ideas your way :)

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Make aside, I would of course want a cab with at least heat if not AC. Two speed for snow removal is a necessity in my book. I would look for a machine in the 2000-2400 ROC catagory to handle large snow buckets. Vertical lift might give you more reach when stacking snow, but would not probably be necessary. IF your going to blow snow than high flow would be a must have option. With a cab, I would get a hyd. quick coupler makes it much easier to change attachments. Machines in this ROC catagory would be CASE 70XT, 430, 440, 75 and 85XT or 435 and 445/ CAT 246, 248, 262, 268/ Bobcat 220, 205, 250. NH LS180 and .B / I would pass on Deere, but to be fair 260/ 270 or 325. Not all of these machines have two speed as an option. I would not go tracks unless you have a particular need for them. As a side note CASE is running 4000 hour warranty and very low interest (amount depends on down payment and credit history). I got my interest on a 440 to 1.7 percent. This is through the month of JUNE I believe.

4. buddhaman

I have a Bobcat and New Holland dealer in close range. Never dealt with them so I don't know about their support. Been asking around if people like the dealers here.

5. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

since its close i'd go bobcat.

as for accessories.....as ksss said cab,ac/heat,2 speed and go high flow so you can use most attachments.i'd also go with pilot controls they're just so much easier on you during long hours.

most bobcat dealers rent out attachments i wouldn't drop big bucks on them early on,see what attachments you rent most and you'll know what to buy.

6. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

If you are plowing an enclosed cab with heat and a/c is a no brainer, and tracks are ok if you do light plowing but i would go with a wheeled machine because concrete and blacktop will wear the tracks very fast. I have a 2006 T190 Bobcat with the gold package and bob-tach, that way i don't have to get out to change buckets or attachments in the snow and cold. I also have a 1999 New holland LX665 Turbo which is the best machine, I have ever used it has 2800 hours on it
    and have never had a major repair done on it. It is a great machine for plowing but you freeze to death in it.

You said Both Bobcat and New Holland dealer where close to you, i would go with a local dealer that way getting service and parts isn't a all day project. Bobcat will rent you pretty much anything they sell, and they have a ton of different attachments to rent.

I had a bad experience with the Cat 247 Machine, so i would stay away from it.

7. buddhaman

Got prices on a Bobcat S220 with cab/heat, high flow, two speed and dirt bucket. $40,000. Seems kinda high to me. Same thing on a Caterpillar 246B with added pallet forks is $30000. Only thing dealer is about an hour away. The Bobcat dealer here does not rent attachments and didn't seem very knowledgeable of their products. Don't care for the New Holland since the radiator can be damaged if backing into something accidentally where the Cat and Bobcat have the radiator up top.

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

40K for that Bobcat is high I think as well. I had priced a 220 last year with the silver package and it was 32K as I recall. No high flow and no AC I doubt would make that much difference. I ordered a CASE 465 with everything (high flow, hyd. coupler, ride control, cab heat/AC two speed is standard) for 46K. The 465 is almost twice the machine the 220 is (going off of ROC which is 3600 with counter weight). If you buy a blower I had good luck with a Erskine 2418 high flow blower. I have also heard very good reports about the Loegren blower.

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't get too concerned about damaging the radiator. We do a lot of demo and have yet to stick anything in the radiator. Rebar wont fit through the guard on the back of the machine (CASE). I also think that having the fan located on top of the engine generates more noise for the operator than does mounting it in the back of the engine. That is my personal opinion.

10. buddhaman

KSSS, is there a lot of visibility in the Case? Will need a lot of visibility since I will be using it for plowing parking lots also.