Best organic weed preventative/grass fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Trumpet, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Trumpet

Trumpet LawnSite Member

Alright,
    Wifey and I just bought our first house in December. The lawn is somewhat of a wreck (lots of lichens, broadleaf type weeds, and this mint-like weed) and the soil is very sandy and squishy (I'm in the Waldorf area of MaRyland). What would be the best organic additive for helping remove weeds and promote grass growth?

Thanks

2. Dean_W

Dean_W LawnSite Member

How about corn gluten mill?:)

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

The best thing to do is kind of start from scratch. It sounds like it has been neglected.
    I would rent an aerator from the local rental place and:
    core aerate, over seed and get down some nice finished compost on top of the seed
    If you seed often you can over time out compete the weeds in the lawn.

I personally like clover in my yard. I enjoy this time of the year too because the snow bells have seeded themselves in quite a few places and they are up and beautiful. There is also a georgous smallish purple flower that comes up all over the place in my lawn (I wish I knew what it was called)

By the time mowing season comes around these beatiful flowers in my yard have gone away.

One mans weed is another mans beautiful yard

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

My first move would be to get rid of the weeds. How you choose to do that depends on how patient you are.

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

We love clover to, in the 1940 -1960 the use of clover in lawns fell out of fashion, now history is repeating its self,we found a bag of "orchard lawn" mixed fescues and clover seed in a big box store. we snatched six up for a drain swale and it is working just fine, without any N or manure.
    the clover seems to come and go, but every time it does flower its pretty cool.

6. Trumpet

Trumpet LawnSite Member

Hey man,
    I'm glad you posted since you're relatively local. Can I do this now, or should I wait until the Fall? Can you recommend anyone local to me that might be a good place to get the 'post? Also, what is a good grass seed to get?

Thanks a ton!

Rich

7. Plant Wizard

Plant Wizard LawnSite Member

The best weed control comes from a thick healthy stand of grass.
    Take a soil sample of the top 6 inches and find out what's missing.
    You can either spray Roundup and reseed the yard, or use one of the many post herbicides to target your weed problem.
    Either way you should aerify and get the soil correction into the ground. Then its a matter of using the organic or man made fertilizer that meets your soil test needs.

8. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Now is a great time to do it as long as the ground isn't too wet. I always buy the best seed I can find. I have found that you get what you pay for in grass seed.

Check on the label for the percentage of weed seeds in the bag. You will find huge differences in weed seeds from one bag to the next. also the one with the least weed seed is usually the most expensive

I also like to get a blend which has 3, 4 sometimes 5 different types of grass seed Rebel, Scotts and Pennington all distribute good seed, The store will normally stock what is typically grown around here

You will always have better success rates by overseeding in the fall but really anytime, but right in the middle of our hot dry humid summers, is a good time to do it

9. Trumpet

Trumpet LawnSite Member

Great! So any of the "big brands" are good grass seeds? Do you know of any good places that have the "good stuff" in regards to compost around here (Waldorf, Clinton area)?

Thanks so much!

Rich

10. Plant Wizard

Plant Wizard LawnSite Member

Go to NTEP
    Its the national turfgrass evaluation program that compares varieties of seed in your area in real life situations. They look at sun, shade, dissease, density, spring green up, and color. Turf grasses have gotten so competitive that they now use a machine to determine how dark green the grass is... on the other side of the fence. The key is to compare the blue grass rating vs the rye grass ratings. If they are not within a point of each other you will get what we call a "pizza" lawn. In cold weather the natural genetics come out and you end up with all shades of green. A rating of 5.0 & 6.0 would be highly exceptable.