Best Perma Green ride-on? + weed kill

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, May 24, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I've heard the best are the Ultra's vs the new Magnums. I'm wondering why.

Personally, I don't think the PG units come out of the factory with proper spray coverage. I have test-driven both....,same o same o (spit coverage).

Since we installed a 3.0 gpm pump w/a motorcycle battery, our weed control problems were quickly solved. Now our mowing subcontractor wants one like ours (modified version of an Ultra).

Bottom, line: What is your favorite ride-on sprayer?

2. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

I think the ultra is easier to calibrate and has more potential for drift than the magnum. Once calibrated correctly it sprays well.

3. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

It seems you either believe in the PG way or you don't. I've seen a lot of posts like yours that say there's no way you can get weed control without full coverage. But do you really think everyone is either modifying their machines or living with poor results for all these years that PG has been in business? I couldn't be bothered trying to re-engineer a piece of equipment and I wouldn't live with lousy results either. I think the devil is in the details - you can't use a PG for precision work, such as around mulch beds. It also helps a lot to try to hit weeds pretty square instead of at the outer edges of the spray pattern.

I've had all the PG models and it's a toss up between the Ultra and the Magnum. The Magnum is a bit easier to work on and there are no electrical problems. I just had to replace the engine at 250 hours though because it literally cracked in half, and that points to the reason a lot prefer the Ultra - they were built a little better.

I'll likely get a Zspray next as there are some products that I use that do need a higher spray volume and the Zs are excellent machines.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I LIKE MY MAGNUM it is a great machine and spraying takes some getting used to but once u get the hang of it boy is it fast

5. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

z-spray puts any PG unit to shame.

6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i like my ultra, stock accept for replacing the surflo with the flojet for ester based products.

7. tdkx

tdkx LawnSite Member

The 2007 Magnum is a much better unit than the Ultra. The ultra has too many electrical components which includes an underpowered electric pump. Older magnums(2005) had a pump problem so don't buy used if you want to go this way. 2006 models are pretty much the same as the 2007's and are good units. It took a three models to get the design correct but the 2007 magnums are a great unit. A far cry from Centri's that are still floating around. You need a magnum if you are doing large commercial type properties or large residential.(one acre plus) Magnums are worthless in smaller commercial residential settings. The Magnum is great for some but it is hose and reel for others.

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I use my Magnum on every property size ranging from my smallest 3K residential up to a 23 acre cemetary I maintain. I have about 200 customers and my average is about 25K. It works the same on both but you just have a little more turning on the smaller ones. I have been is business for three years and have NEVER pulled a hose yet, and don' plan to. I agree that the machine may not be used as effeciently on smaller lots, but it has still got to be better then pulling a hose around and pushing a spreader. Call me lazy or whatever you want but lawns look good, customers are happy and I am riding around and getting a lot done. Love my PG and looking at getting another. Looked at the LT Rich product and almost bought one but keep coming back to the PG.

9. CircleCLandscape

CircleCLandscape LawnSite Member

PG is great. I don't complain because I'd rather ride than walk or pull hose; however, I have used the 05 - 07 and they all have problems. I do run it hard(large commercial properties) and use it everyday. Hopper problems, pump problems, frame broke in half, engine ate away, transmission....and I could go on! For weeds I try to hit them pretty square or I swing back around to get them. I also run a little higher rate of w/c and have had better luck. There is a Toro boom sprayer that we tried to get for large commercial properties we do, but couldnt spend the money. Do have to be careful with a little breeze when spraying w/c, can get a little drift. Never run ester out of it....too volital. Stick with 2,4D, Dicamba; stuff like that. Good luck with your PG! Does make a lawn look great when working right!

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

A local competitor hates his Z-spray. Not sure why (I know he got stuck in the mud once). I guess there's no "silver bullet" when it comes to ride-ons?

Earlier this month, I saw a 2006 Magnum at a local repair shop (Tri-State Toro). It had just under 40 hours on it. The axle was broken in half due to extreme corrosion. Seems the owner never ever cleaned it. Yet I wonder why such a new machine would break apart so soon???

Our 2 Ultas are still running strong, yet we seldom wash them. I also checked PG's used listings.....odd thing: The Ultras are bringing almost as much as their updated counterparts (Magnums)???