Best pest control

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by cspaugh, May 18, 2008.

1. cspaugh

cspaugh LawnSite Member

I got it. Ok this might not be in the intrest of everyone, but I just wanted to share a little of my joy, this seemed to be the place, enjoy. While pulling some weeds to tidy up my garden I noticed one dandilion stem that looked funny. I get a little closer to have a look, it is covered in aphids. As I am looking I see a flash of red under one of the leaves. Well what do ya know there is a ladybug just devouring aphids:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: After watching this for a minute I noticed there were quite a few ladybugs around, great news for my aphids:waving:
    Now im being more gentile while pulling my weeds, didnt want to kill my "pestacide". Next thing that goes running across my hand another fine predator, the mantis. He was the smallest one I have ever seen, only about
    3/4" long, then I realized hundreds more all around on the ground. I happened to be in the right place at the right time for a hatching. Gave me a good reason to quit weeding, had to let my "pestacide" disperse. Got to love those natural practices.:weightlifter::usflag::canadaflag::waving::waving:

2. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

That was very nice of you ...to share that Info and discovery with us...and thanks for putting up the Canadian flags with the rest of your smiles:usflag::canadaflag:................Daner:waving:

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I absolutely love watching praying mantis in the yard, I find them fasinating. Just the other day I was transfering some ladybugs from the lilac bush to the roses, back and forth. For some reason they did not come when I called "Hey ladybugs the roses have some aphids on them, over here" I guess I need to train them better :laugh::laugh:

4. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

awesome! is there a way to buy ladybugs? I know you can buy bees. Then place them in the yard or would they just fly away? It's crazy how something so "cute" can be so vicious.

5. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

6. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

Don't buy ladybugs online or in a store. From my understanding from a entomologist that sets up organic/sustainable green houses. She said that those ladybug are harvested when they are in hybernation. They will often carry diseases and bacteria that are harmful to the population already in your area.

7. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

good catch, I guess what I need to do is go back to the apartment that I had before we bought our house, we were over run with ladybugs, couldn't keep them out. I wander if they are still having problems? I can just harvest them from there.

OOO, thats an idea, just go around to all the apartment complexes and let them know if they have any problems with ladybugs to let me know and I will take some home with me.

What do you think?

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That is an excellent point. Insect populations are cyclical anyways. or at least dependant on the weather each year.

Nematodes are diseases so this idea would not apply to them would it?