Best place to be a grass cut business owner?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by curtislawncare, Jan 30, 2014.

1. curtislawncare

curtislawncare LawnSite Member

Where is the best metro area to own/operate a grass cutting biz? I ask in terms of longest cutting season.

Is it one of the Gulf states? Florida maybe?

2. South Florida the Miami-Fort Lauderdale -- West Palm Beach area
    We cut year round, around thirty percent of the clients cut back there service to twice a month, from Jan - March the rest keep there service year round:cool2:

3. ROS_Grounds

ROS_Grounds LawnSite Member

I ask a serious question that mught trigger some laughs and other responses...

Why woukd you want to purposely mow year round?

We operate 5.5 months snow and months and 5.5 months grass and would rather move snow year round of we could than grass!

Snow pays a lot more without sunburn, bugs and dust.

Just a friendly question.

Have a phenomenal day! :)

4. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Great Thread! Need to also consider what the labor rates are in the areas considered as you may be able to make more money in an area with a few less cuts if the labor rates are higher in that area?

5. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If there were more snow and less grass then there would be more snow operations therefore less revenue.
    Grass is more predictable. I have never been caught by a missed forecast that had me out mowing for 40 hours straight.

6. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Just got done with a 35 hour stretch and a refreeze this morning.

Id hate to have to mow the same grass every day because it shot up 2 inches overnight.

I get only a couple of those 2 day plow frenzies a year, thank goodness. I make more money spreading Ice melt than anything, although Ice melt is getting hard to come by right now. shot up 3 dollars a bag with a forcast of snow.....LOL

7. nightshutter

nightshutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from UT

I'll take snow removal over mowing any day!

8. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Snow pays better then mowing.

9. RonWin

RonWin LawnSite Senior Member

you guys are crazy. I would take grass cutting over snow pushing any day. While the money is great, that's about the only thing. You have to get up early in the cold darkness and avoid getting into an accident depending on weather conditions as well as bad drivers/drunks on the road. You have to be a lot more careful to avoid causing any damage to property due to slidding/hidden snow covered objects. Having to rely on your helper to be up at 3 am who helps you shovel the walk ways for those pesky drive+walkway accounts (its a must around here or else they'll get another company to do it). How about never being able to go on vaca because you are at the mercy of the weather? Planning around a once a week cut is one thing but predicting the weather is another.

I love running a snow plowing business and lawn maintenance route but lets get real, its way easier to have a set schedule than the unpredictability of snow plowing!

10. JDGlandscape

JDGlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

when i first started i loved snow, now i hate the schedule and unpredictability and irrational customers. the grass season is much much much less stress than winter, but i do make a lot more money plowing snow than cutting grass.
    Posted via Mobile Device