Best Place to be in business as an LCO

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Feb 5, 2004.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Where do you think is the ultimate place to have a LCO business?

When I think of that, I tend to try to think of areas that have nice weather all year-round so you could work year-round and always enjoy nice weather. I also tend to think of areas where there are a lot of rich people all gathered together who are either too busy or too stuck up to do their own lawn.

What city/state comes to mind when you think of the ULTIMATE place to do business?

2. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Uh... Miami Fla??? With all the $12-$15 yards....;)

Actually, Fairfield County, Ct. Where David Letterman lives, an all the other rich folk....

Funny story...Burger King up here in Ct. use to have whopper sales all the time for a buck. It excluded Fairfield County.....

If I was just 75 miles closer!!

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

What do ya mean Jim? You aren't in the best area?
    I would think you could pretty much work year round there if you can stand all the rain.
    I think it is pretty nice down here in the southern part of the state and pretty much do work year round.

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

My two guesses would be : Outer Banks,NC and Myrtle Beach,SC

5. JimLewis

Definitely not. It is nice that because we have mild winters we can still do maintenance work all winter. Actually, we could even do most installation and irrigation work all winter too. We just don't get any calls for it. But the weather here really sucks for at least 4-6 months of every year. It wears on you after a while. It's not even the rain. It's just the damm dreary cloudy dark skies all the time. When you don't see the sun for 6 months it does stuff to ya. :help:

On the flip side, our summers are just awesome. Beautiful bright sun and lush green grass and lush plants and trees everywhere. Lots of rivers and lakes and mountains to have fun in. Awesome place in the summer and even early fall. But it just doesn't last long enough then you're back to wishing you lived somewhere else again.

Most winter days I wake up, check out lawnsite, and just go back to bed hoping like heck I'll sleep until spring.

6. JimLewis

Oh. Hehe. I didn't see you were also from OR. Well, not really though. You and I both know Eagle Point is more California than it is Oregon. :gunsfirin

The other advantage we have here as opposed to Eagle point is the great economy. Here in WA county everyone's has $$$ and most are eager to impress others. Great place for being a LCO or contractor of any kind for that matter.

7. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Mkt Research? (Or is that a different thread?)

What's the criteia?
    Nice weather.
    Rich folk.

"...too stuck up..."
    I've heard tales of folk that would never dream having the neighbors see them perform such menial tasks.
    Besides, they're too busy... playing golf!

One could just pick a fav exclusive resort area and start packing.

The Grass is Always Greener....

8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Jupiter Island FL. Highest average price real estate in the U.S.

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I do admit we have alot of californians coming up and retiring but that is what makes it one of the better places IMO to have this business.

10. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

I would think somewhere in Southern Fl would be best. Probably alot of competition though. My sister lives in Ocala, 1 hour east of Daytona and they mow most of the year but there is still down time.