best place to buy a eaton hydro trans for a walker mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slowpoe, Mar 30, 2005.

1. slowpoe

slowpoe LawnSite Member

I can get one from J Thomas for $470 :angry: to the door.Is there any were cheaper.
    My mower is a 1999 26HP FI walker with 2700 hrs.
    This is the 2nd one to go out,I think do to bad maint. :dizzy: I think the 1st one was from low fluid after changing it & obviously not getting it bled right or checking it after mowing a lawn,Im not sure on the 2nd one on opisite side.
    I mow some hilly lawns & this may be a factor,but how many hrs. have you guys gotten out of these trannys.

Also any info on were to get them rebuilt, like at a fork lift place would be great.

2. slowpoe

slowpoe LawnSite Member

Now I need to replace the other side I got 2yrs. ago & they are $500 now.Is there any were cheaper or that can rebuild them.
    From info I found on this site I believe the problem may be the gear box that drives the wheel,so I am going to take it apart & replace any thing that is worn.If the bearings or gears are bad it can ware out the tranny quicker.& if that is not it I just need to get 2 good trannys on at the same time so the new tranny is not getting over worked making up for older unit.

Has ny one rebuilt one of these gear boxes & did you have any problems.

3. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

You may already know that Walker recommends "NEVER service the hydros". Sounds funny but they just get contaminants whenever opened or changed. I now have nearly 3000 (yes thousand) hours on mine with only a change at 800 before they put the word out to just quit changing the fluid!

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Boy I bet that gear axle drive would cost a bundle to replace it.. There is no parts breakdown in the book so don't know where you get parts. Be sure those fans are on the hydro.

5. bjbarta

bjbarta LawnSite Member

There were a pair of eatons on ebay last wk for 50. no one bought them before time ran out. he said mower got hit by car and was parting it out.
    40 to ship.
    I could check if they are still available if you want. 1700 hrs on them.
    how can you check if they are in good shape, if they are off machine?